Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

OWU Photo Contest Prizes

Started by seagrant ·

  • 17Posts
  • 17Replies

Read-only discussion

OWU Photo Contest Prizes

17 posts
  1. Honestly, I would usually try and try to work this out with the "organizers" but since there seems to be no one available at this time (I just got an automated email that Jason Heller will be gone till April 22nd) I feel I have no choice but to post this here and maybe I'll get some communication back. Also none of my emails questioning what I won and querying the delay of prizes - for placing 3rd place in the Photo/Conservation category - were ever returned by the organizers.

     

    This is a very unprofessional way to run a contest and I wonder if the well-respected WetPixel will want to be involved with this contest in the future? I think my email today states it best and of course I got an automated response that Jason Heller is gone for another month.

     

    A copy of email I just sent regarding this:

    Jason,

     

    I am very disappointed in the revelation today from Karen at Mares that my "Mares Dive Gear" prize for winning 3rd place (Bronze Medal) in the OWU Photography Competition under Conservation is a BC valued at half of what I would have won if I had placed 4th in the exact same category! (My prize I just learned is a Mares BC, valued at $475 for 3rd place and John Scarlett's prize for placing 4th in the exact same category is a Sea and Sea strobe valued at $975.00).

     

    How inexplicable, unfair and disappointing is that?

     

    But the thing I'm most concerned with is you all never answered any of my emails inquiring about the prizes and even in your email of the winning submission, in case you don't recall, you stated extracted from the winning email dated February 18, 2008 below:

     

    Dive gear from Mares (I will follow up with specific product model(s) info next week)

     

    I never received your "follow up with specific product model(s) info next week", which would have been the week of Feb 23rd to 29th and I never received that data afterwards either as you all promised.

     

    There is a maxim in business to "always deliver what you promise". All I've gotten as far as general (bulk) communication back regarding this is excuses that you all were too busy with the contest in Indonesia, you needed our addresses again, and yesterday (March 27, 2008) from Karen at Mares that "Jason Heller-DivePhotoGuide.com just realized that the prizes for the competition had not been sent out", etc.

     

    This is very disappointing and I think you will want to redistribute the award prizes.

     

    Please advise as I'm not accepting this unfair "prize" and I will be querying and questioning the organizers and others involved with this contest as to why these prizes were handled in such a slipshod manner. There are many other underwater photography contests around that are run much better and I think you all will lose some credibility in the photo contest rankings for handling these prizes and particularly the communication back to the winners so poorly. Too bad as I really personally like and respect Eric Cheng, Alex Mustard and Tony Wu a lot and they are not usually associated with things handled in such an unfair manner with lack of communication acknowledgment and unfair distribution of prizes.

     

    How can 4th place, Honorable Mention in the EXACT SAME CATEGORY of this OWU contest win something worth over 2X what the 3rd place, Bronze medal wins? That is not just unfair but misrepresentation I feel.

     

    Do you offer any solution to address this and redistribute the prizes in an equitable manner?

     

    And to boot I never received my "Ikelite flashlights" as you have stated in the prizes either.

     

    Carol Grant - this communication sent on March 28, 2008

    OWU Underwater Photo Competition Winner, Bronze Medal, 3rd place, Conservation

     

     

    Copy of winning communication of OWU Photo Competition sent by Jason Heller on February 18, 2008:

    Hi Carol -

     

    On behalf of the teams at DivePhotoGuide.com,Wetpixel.com and Our World Underwater, I am extremely pleased to inform you that you are one of the winners of the 3rd annual International Photo & Video Competition! The winning images were exhibited all weekend and will be officially announced online at UnderwaterCompetition.com by the end of the week, followed by announcements in the publications of our supporting media partners around the world.

     

    You have placed in the following categories with the following images:

     

    Category: Enviornmental & Conservation

    Image: Mantee Tails

    Place: Bronze

     

    You have won the following prizes:

     

    - Dive gear from Mares (I will follow up with specific product model(s) info next week)

     

    - Ikelite flashlight

     

    Your prize(s) and award plaques will be mailed out within the next 3 - 4 weeks.

     

    Congratulations again, and thank you for participating in this year's competition! The competition was tough. The bar was set high. With entries from all over the globe, you have shined above the rest. We hope to see you again in next year's competition!

     

    All the best!

     

     

    Edited by yahsemtough
  2. For the most part I am not concerned about the prizes etc in these competitions, but Carol's points are well taken, and there have been previous complaints about prizes etc on this forum. I think to a large extent prizes will depend completely on what the sponsors are prepared to donate, so the organizers I think just have to divide things up as best they can.

    For those folks who are concerned about the prizes, my suggestion would be that the organizers make more effort to be specific about the exact prize for each category and place ahead of time, and also the process and time frame for distribution of the prizes. Better communication, that's all.

  3. Hi Carol, Im sorry to hear you feel mistreated. Im sure Jason or someone else will try and make it right. One thing ive learned from doing contests is that it always takes forever to get prizes, and often way after organizers had said they'd ship prizes. Ive had things arrive upto 6 months after. I dont think its a malicious thing, I just think they get overwhelmed and the contest isnt the first thing on their mind. Except for a prize at Celebrate the Sea, we've eventually always gotten what was promised.

     

    It's probably not what you want to hear, but I think if you're patient it'll sort itself out.

     

    Cor

  4. Interesting replies, Jeff and Cor,

     

    Of course Cor I don't feel "mistreated", that is not the word I would use - I just feel it is innately unfair to award a prize in the exact same category for 4th place that doesn't even place in the top three that is twice as valuable as the 3rd place prize. And to not inform or even answer emails regarding exactly what was won as was stated.

     

    If this is how these contests are generally run as you seem to infer Cor then that doesn't speak well at all for the contest, judges and sponsors.

     

    These replies, Jeff and Cor are interesting because it seems as if this sort of "neglect of proper distribution" of prizes is common if I take your meaning and could actually be considered quite negligent if not worse.

     

    I don't think we have to accept this in photo/video contests as we as participants are sanctioned so much to enter on time, exactly label and fill our forms, pay, follow the rules to a "T" when entering. So why can't the contest show some of the same professional behavior in following up and awarding the prizes?

     

    I dare say I expected more of something WetPixel was involved in and I do hope someone gets back to me eventually on this.

     

    I will not accept this OWU "prize" as I consider it unfair and a bit of an insult that I won something 1/2 as valuable for my 3rd place as 4th place won in the exact same category. I told Mares as a sponsor of this OWU Photo/Video Contest that it doesn't bode too well for them either that they can't at least match the value of a lower prize that didn't even place in the top three.

     

    This photo contest is a business just like anything else and not returning communication is still inexcusable.

     

    Carol

  5. If you don't want the BCD there are starving divemasters everywhere that would be very gratefull for it.

     

    I remember as a kid crying when i couldnt win a goldfish at the fair ... i don't remember being upset when i did win one just because my friend who went next got a bigger one ?

     

    I find it very bizarre that you would call it unfair that you and anyone else can enter a photo in a contest by following their rules, and then get rewarded for it. You say the forth place prize costs more in retail does that mean its worth more ?

    It is not the competition creators that set the retail price, it is the manufacturers, so how can you blame the competition for the strobes costing more in a shop ?

    The reason the BCD is probably able to be sold so much cheaper is not it's value to be made, but the fact that there are more people wanting to buy them hence the profit margin can be lower but total profit a lot higher.

     

    There is a saying .. something to do with "gift horse" but i forget it now.

  6. I find it very bizarre that you would call it unfair that you and anyone else can enter a photo in a contest by following their rules, and then get rewarded for it. You say the forth place prize costs more in retail does that mean its worth more ?

    It is not the competition creators that set the retail price, it is the manufacturers, so how can you blame the competition for the strobes costing more in a shop ?

    The reason the BCD is probably able to be sold so much cheaper is not it's value to be made, but the fact that there are more people wanting to buy them hence the profit margin can be lower but total profit a lot higher.

     

    There is a saying .. something to do with "gift horse" but i forget it now.

     

    Thanks for the reply Giles and I wonder if you had won 3rd place and after delay and unreturned emails found out you won a $475 BC and if you had done worse and won 4th place in the same category or 4th in a similar one you would have won a Sea and Sea YS-250 strobe valued at $975 or 2X YS110 strobes valued at $1,100.

     

    It is easy to be unsympathetic and even a little rude in a reply and not be sensitive and see how invalidated you or someone you like might feel at being awarded a significantly lesser prize for higher placing in the same category.

     

    Sea and Sea strobes worth $1,000+- are more valuable than a Mares BC valued at $475.00 and that doesn't speak well for the sponsor Mares or the contest.

     

    I think the prizes were not distributed correctly here and my queries into what exactly "Mares Dive Gear" was were not answered - till now.

     

    It will be interesting to know what (the other 3rd placers) feel.

     

    So Giles I'd say just try to think how you would feel in a similar circumstance and show a little empathy. But of course you are free to have any opinion and say anything you like to my reaction to the situation.

     

    Thanks, Carol

    Edited by seagrant
  7. I understand what you are saying but if it were me I would have just been happy with the prize I got and angry that I didn't win! :lol:;)

  8. Carol ..

     

    the value of the strobes already went up from $975 in your first post to +$1000 in your last .... funny that ..

     

    if you waste all your energy being bitter thats your choice I was merely trying to say .. you won something .. why not be happy. I know I would be.

     

    I think we all understand why you are p****d off .. but it's kinda backwards in my mind.

    If you really want 4th prize next time .. then aim for 4th ..most other people like to go for first and are happy with any prize and the recognition of whatever position they place.

     

    Maybe the best solution here is for competitions to not say what you may win .. and then not tell you what all the oher people won too ..

    Edited by Giles
  9. Carol,

     

    I think you are making too much about this. The organizers make a good faith effort to award the best prizes to the highest winners, but there is no guarantee that they are awarded in strict dollar value order. In fact, there is no guarantee that they are worth anything at all!

     

    For example last year I won a 3rd place in the DEEP2007 competition and got a $500 gift certificate to Amphibico. I was stoked until I discovered that it was only valid for buying a video housing or lighting system. Since I am not interested in video and the least expensive lighting system costs around 2k$, this certificate has essentially no value to me. I don't feel particularly ill used, although I think that giving video prizes to still photographers is a bit weird. Overall I am honored to be included in such an august crowd of winners.

     

    In your case, I think you should be be grateful for what you won, an not jealous of what others won. Look on the bright side, since you have to pay taxes on your winnings, you will have a lower tax bill. :lol:

    Edited by drsteve
  10. Carol ..

     

    the value of the strobes already went up from $975 in your first post to +$1000 in your last .... funny that ..

     

    if you waste all your energy being bitter thats your choice I was merely trying to say .. you won something .. why not be happy. I know I would be.

     

    I think we all understand why you are p****d off .. but it's kinda backwards in my mind.

    If you really want 4th prize next time .. then aim for 4th ..most other people like to go for first and are happy with any prize and the recognition of whatever position they place.

     

    Maybe the best solution here is for competitions to not say what you may win .. and then not tell you what all the oher people won too ..

     

    Giles, I'm not being "bitter", obviously you don't know me as that is not my nature. And if you read my thorough post I noted that there were two or three HM or 4th place prizes of Sea and Sea strobes valued at $975 to $1,100 (and note someone else inferred they were worth 1,100) so I chose to say $1,000+- (which means specifically 1,000 dollars plus or minus - sorry for the abbreviation).

     

    Someone said "assuming diver gear is worth more than that" regarding the strobes awarded, so even another made that assumption. So it is probably the "assumptions" that got myself into trouble and the administrator of the prizes not returning communication or getting back to us with the Mares model numbers like he said he would in the original winning email. Jeff above is correct in his earlier post, better communication and specific listing would have handled all of this.

     

    I think the prizes have to be listed because it is promotion for the sponsors. But Giles you make a good point; but I'm not worried about what others won, I'm concerned that I didn't win a proper 3rd place prize as was fair in the prize hierarchy - that's all. Seems pretty simple to me. This contest is a business after all with images used for promotion of the contest, cause, etc - we pay a $10 fee each image to enter - the images are published for free, etc. and promote the organizers and sponsors. Interesting scenario. I just think the prizes that are worth quite a lot of $$$ should be awarded per categories and 1,2,3 etc gradiently in each category. And I don't think it is a waste of time at all to address this situation. Again I'm probably not the only one, just the first or only one of the 3rd place winners to speak out.

     

     

    Carol,

     

    I think you are making too much about this. The organizers make a good faith effort to award the best prizes to the highest winners, but there is no guarantee that they are awarded in strict dollar value order. In fact, there is no guarantee that they are worth anything at all!

     

    For example last year I won a 3rd place in the DEEP2007 competition and got a $500 gift certificate to Amphibico. I was stoked until I discovered that it was only valid for buying a video housing or lighting system. Since I am not interested in video and the least expensive lighting system costs around 2k$, this certificate has essentially no value to me. I don't feel particularly ill used, although I think that giving video prizes to still photographers is a bit weird. Overall I am honored to be included in such an august crowd of winners.

     

    In your case, I think you should be be grateful for what you won, an not jealous of what others won. Look on the bright side, since you have to pay taxes on your winnings, you will have a lower tax bill. :lol:

     

    Thanks Steve, I'm getting to understand that "prize inequities" are common and I feel for your situation....... and Steve I'm not at all jealous of what others have won as I'm not a jealous person in the least (again you probably don't know me personally). I just feel that prizes should reflect the place standings (per 1,2,3,etc) in the same category as is usually how contests are awarded. I don't think it is too much to ask. ;)

     

    Hey if someone doesn't speak up, in this case about the prize inequities per placed standings in the OWU Competition - then nothing ever changes. You know I'd never get into any trouble if I didn't say anything - but then nothing would ever get solved either. ;)

     

    Hopefully improvements will be made.

     

    Thanks, Carol

    Edited by seagrant
  11. Carol

    If the organizers cannot be reached at the moment (travelling etc), whether you like it or not, you will have to be patient and wait for a reply. Your expectations of immediate replies to your queries is not realistic. Even the biggest competitions like BBC POTY they take time to reply due to volume. It isn't a profit only business but a form of advertising for whatever reasons. I know they don't make money directly from competitions, but increases the level of interest in whatever products is being promoted. It's a fine distinction but nonetheless it is there.

    There can be many possible answers, a mistake could've made, the BCD could be set in rhinestones :lol: etc. Only when they reply will you know. Complaining about it publicly now gives no restitution if the organizers cannot be reached, except to 'vent'. If you don't hear anything from the organizers by the end of april, after their return, voicing your disappointment then would be more constructive than to do it when you know the organizer is unavailable until the 22nd.

    Good luck with your queries.

  12. Woooooo. Carol don't drag me into this one. There is no "us" in terms of the complaint you are making on my part.

     

    I purely gave speculation on what the gear might be. The price was a pure guess on the value of the strobes. I also stated that I would be very happy with dive gear. Any prize really. In that first thread you stated you were not happy to be getting dive gear because you have enough of it already. Now you are stating it is not worth enough compared to other prizes.

     

    Me, I think it is great! And, the sponsor gladly allowed me to get women's sizing as I am scoring points with my wife by getting her the new gear.

     

    I am happy with what I got. They, the contest, responded to me in a timely manner at all times.

     

    And, many thanks to the organizers and sponsors as I know running a contest like this is a lot of time and effort. I am a happy camper.

     

    Todd

    Edited by yahsemtough
  13. Woooooo. Carol don't drag me into this one. There is no "us" in terms of the complaint you are making on my part.

     

    I purely gave speculation on what the gear might be. The price was a pure guess on the value of the strobes. I also stated that I would be very happy with dive gear. Any prize really. In that first thread you stated you were not happy to be getting dive gear because you have enough of it already. Now you are stating it is not worth enough compared to other prizes.

     

    Me, I think it is great! And, the sponsor gladly allowed me to get women's sizing as I am scoring points with my wife by getting her the new gear.

     

    I am happy with what I got. They, the contest, responded to me in a timely manner at all times.

     

    And, many thanks to the organizers and sponsors as I know running a contest like this is a lot of time and effort. I am a happy camper.

     

    Todd

     

    Todd thanks very much for your post and I've removed any reference to you in this post that I added in error - I should have asked you first and not "assumed" from what you said off the cuff in another post. I'll eat crow on that one..... ;) Please forgive me for that as it wasn't my intention to suppose....

     

    Thanks for the good feedback and yes I had a different experience but that doesn't mean it was universal.

     

    I'm glad you are happy with your 3rd place prize and I've learned a lot about what to expect and not expect when entering contests. This was actually the first contest I had ever entered and I think Jeff's advice near the top is the best I guess. Better communication all around and I can improve that on my end too. But I still think the prizes should be more equitable based on placings in each category but I'm more familiar now on where to place my expectation level. That isn't a bad thing I just was not clued in that the prizes aren't awarded in such a precise manner as I previously expected much of the time. I thought it was a much more exact "business" sort of awarding system the way the prize $$$ amts are emphasized and advertised so in the contest promotion - but actually it might be a little more like a lottery in the lower placings and that might make sense not to spend much extra time on that as I'm sure the organizers are busy as are we all.....

     

    Thanks for all the feedback guys, I've learned a lot and consider this all constructive advice and congrats to all the winners! :lol:

     

    Sincerely, Carol

     

    PS If this does turn out to be my prize I'll get it and donate it to a very worthy non-profit organization - probably the local Marine Mammal Stranding Network that needs donations of equipment to clean their rehab tanks, etc. It will be valued highly and put to a much needed use.

    Edited by seagrant
  14. Some good news -

     

    I told Karen at Mares that I basically misunderstood the way it seems these contest prizes sometimes worked and it wasn't as I had expected at all, so it was a surprise when she told me I'd get the BC as I was expecting something else.

     

    All the feedback here helped me understand the nature of the contest prize dilemma. :lol:

     

    I told her I wanted to donate the BC in a small ladies size (for the smaller marine biology interns, etc. - they are always wearing BCs too big) that is what they needed. In fact I just came back from cleaning the tanks where they house the sea turtles being rehabbed and checked and everyone was thrilled to hear they would get a new, small BC to use!!

     

    So I came back home to this nice communication from Karen at Mares:

     

    Hi Carol- Can you believe I am at work today?! Are you also working? No need to apologize, your feedback is important to me and to Mares Diving. I will place the order for the Kaila on Monday -have a great weekend.

     

    Thank you,

     

    Karen

     

    So its done and I have no attention on it anymore - it is indeed better to give than receive as they say...... ;) and the BC "prize" has some excited gals waiting for it and it will be put to good use for sure. Plus in the future I won't have preconceived expectations about how the prizes or communication back from the organizers of photo contests should work.

     

    Thanks for all the information everyone, Carol

    Edited by seagrant
  15. Well, I have to say my experiences with this competition only get better and better.

     

    As you know I was very happy with my prizes as awarded by the OWU-Wetpixel.com/DivePhotoGuide.com competition. I was lucky enough to place, and feel fortunate for that with so many great images out there.

     

    I got an email from Jason Heller, who is incharge of the competition, stating that he had just returned from being away in Asia and saw that the prizes had been awarded with an inequity in the dollar values. As a result, he wanted to make things right (Let me state that I did not ask them for anything, I/my wife is overjoyed with her new dive gear). Jason did not just say we are sending you "x" to increase my prize value to be in accordance with my placing, he gave me the choice of a couple items to ensure that it would be something I could really use.

     

    Not only that, he is making sure the package is shipped ASAP because I am leaving for Bonaire on Friday!

     

    Let me say that this is definately going way above and beyond what they, or any contest should be expected to do. They have not only made it right, they have gone the extra mile to ensure they corrected a minor error. Something that was a unanticipated error. I always say that people are human and will make errors but how they deal with them separates people in my mind. This correction speaks volumes.

     

    With numerous competitions available to enter and each costing money to enter, this competition will always get my entry dollars. You can rest assured they strive to do everything they can to make this competition the best it can be.

     

    Thank you to Jason and all those involved with the OWU competition. These competitions are a lot of work and it is appreciated. Thank you very much for the unexpected prize and I will definately see you guys next year.

     

    You guys Rock!

     

    Cheers

     

    Todd Mintz

    Edited by yahsemtough
  16. I was with jason heller on his recent trip to wakatobi. He spent significant time on the trip trying to make it right. I for one am usually so honored to place in any competition, given the quality of the entrys, that the prize is a secondary to the thrill of being included with the winners

  17. I was with jason heller on his recent trip to wakatobi. He spent significant time on the trip trying to make it right. I for one am usually so honored to place in any competition, given the quality of the entrys, that the prize is a secondary to the thrill of being included with the winners

     

    I agree mrbubbles and everyone else.

     

    I'm sure at times everyone has possibly experienced speaking a little too much before everything was understood. At least I have done this, especially in this case..... :P

     

    Yes, I even told him all I really wanted was just to understand.

     

    When I got the explanation about what happened I understood and I told them I didn't even really expect anything else but Jason insisted and said it was no problem. I'm sure no other contest would go out of their way like this. Thanks Jason!

     

    But I did want to point out that entering and winning "contests" seems to be something that "everyone knows about" or at least the winners know about - that have won or know someone who has won before. But I had never entered any photo comp - land or sea - and I was really ignorant of how much of a "business" it was/was not - as opposed to a "contest" with all the emphasis prize $$ amts and all. I also did not realize how sponsors donate "prizes" and how things can change and shakeups in prizes can happen, even last minute. There is a lot I didn't understand for sure and I even tried to change the title of this post to just "OWU Prizes" but tried to right after the time limit was up so I couldn't edit...... :)

     

    What I did request - anyway I think it would be helpful is a short writeup on what to expect if you win a contest. Maybe after the entering rules and deadlines just a short piece on what to expect if you win, how prizes are donated and distributed, how things can change sometimes, time-frame to expect distribution of prizes. I think where Jason had trouble (and I have empathy for him on this) was running two contests, two big contests so near each other. That seems really tough. I personally don't mind waiting for prizes., it just don't want to be expecting something or some communication in the wrong time-frame and wondering.

     

    Anyway thanks so much Jason and everyone else for the wonderful competitions and chance for us to show our images. And thanks for caring and being patient and understanding with me. Plus thanks for the additional item - I was impressed with the OWU Competition and DEEP Indonesia - and I thank you. :guiness:

     

    Sincerely, Carol

Retra

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.