Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Judging Photos

Started by TomR1 ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

Judging Photos

5 posts
  1. The question is how do you judge an underwater photograph. I am talking about when one only has a low resolution web image to go by such as the weekly photo contest here on wetpixel.

     

    I will describe my procedure here for the wetpixel contests. I would be interested in yours.

     

    A. My first step is to go through the many entries and eliminate every one that is not a contender. In a contest of 50 or more entries I try to get down to 7-9 finalists. I do this even if I think the winner is obvious. If an entry does not fit the weekly criteria I discard it no matter how good it is.

     

    B. I evaluate my finalists according to a 1-10 scale in 4 distinct categories which I weight equally. They are:

    1. Art-I try to imagine how pleasing a shot would look greatly expanded, framed and hung on the wall. In this phase I don't try to guess if the entry could be expanded, only how it would look artistically if it was expanded. I do this because some of my shots that have great detail and are wonderful on the screen simply don't make it on the wall in 11-15.

    2.Difficulty/rarity-I would like to ask "Did you find this yourself?" but obviously I can't so I just heve to go on how difficult it is to get this picture. For example, a jawfish with eggs is rarer than a jawfish without eggs and a jawfish with eggs is much more difficult to approach and photograph than a jawfish without eggs. Or, a scorpion fish with his mouth open is rarer and more difficult that a scorpion fish without his mouth open. I tend to give more weight to catching a fast moving fish in a pleasing, action pose than I do to a flamingo tongue or nudibranch. If it is a wide angle or reef scene I emphasize the difficulty of the subject. A posed diver rates less than a shark.

    3.Photography-I look closely at the focus point, color balance, sharpness to determine how technically advanced the shot is. I find this hard with a low res shot but I try anyhow.

    4. Style/Position-I look at the fish's pose and tend to prefer poses that convey action or say something over a simple fish ID shot. I also look at how the background works with the subject. In a wide angle I particulary try to evaluate what the shot is saying.

     

    C. When I get all done I add up the scores. Then, however, I make my decision based on what I feel, not necessarly the raw score. The evaluation process is just to focus my thoughts, not the final decision maker.

     

    Regards,

     

    Tom

  2. UWcolors-

    I read your posts with interest. You seem to have had better files (more data) than I have when judging the weekly contest. That would be good but until I do I can't how sharp the shots are>

     

    Tom

  3. Tom,

     

    I would suggest that finding the perfect criteria is the Holy Grail for judges, which can be a bit all over the place.

     

    Have you ever seen the variance in votes at these events?

     

    At the CMAS competition last year one photo was awarded both 0.9 and 9.0 points -work that one out!

    Edited by brendiver
  4. I belong to a camera club (general, not uw specific) and we have competitions monthly. Trying to figure out how judges think HAS become a quest for the Holy Grail like brendiver says. LOL.

     

    2 months ago in a print competition, not one of my 8 entries scored. Last week, I entered the same photos again because of their low scores (and to save myself money and time printing and mounting) and I got 2 honorable mentions and 1 Award. So...go figure.

     

    I only just started voting on the wetpix potw so I am not an expert. The only system I have is to look through all of them and eliminate/hide the ones that are technically bad first (I don't really worry about the res because it is a web photo) the ones that don't meet the contest name, and ones that just don't move me. I think ultimately, I narrow it down to about 10 and then I have a tough time trying to make a decision. Usually, there is one that just grabs me. But I've seen that in the last 4 contests, I've chosen the winner 3 times although my second and third choices have usually been different. I finally entered one contest myself and was kind of torn because my favorite one was not mine. My dilemma was, do I vote for the best one or do I vote for myself because no one else will? LOL

    Edited by Nakedwithoutcamera
Reef Photo & Video

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.