What are most divers doing for securing there housing. No straps, 1 strap, or two straps? Advantages and disadvantages? All advice appreciated.
Thanks,
Zeb
Read-only discussion
What are most divers doing for securing there housing. No straps, 1 strap, or two straps? Advantages and disadvantages? All advice appreciated.
Thanks,
Zeb
I personally use a quick release, locking retractor.
This setup allows me to secure the rig close to me by locking the retractor. I can also extend the line and lock it so it doesn't pull and I've got full range of motion. I can quickly release the rig entirely and secure it easily when it's handed to me by a crew member.
I've been in a few situations where I've needed both hands and if I'm up in the water column I can release the rig and attend to the situation knowing my camera is still close by (and below me because it's negative) and secure.
I use my hand. I guess whatever works for you.
Alex
I use one cord with quick release to the D-ring in my BC.
That way I can use my two hands when needed wile the housing is floating near me in the water, also in shore dives when I need to walk more then two minutes it help to move some of the wight of the housing from the hands to the BC.
Disadvantage: the cord is some time disturbs, it's can be mess with the octopus but its not really a problem.
I use I really long coiled lanyard with a quick release connect to a clip on my BC. In practice, I've never dropped the housing, but it's comforting to know I can't lose it. this plus this clip and this clip split ring.
Why the clip / split ring quick disconnect when there's a clip on the lanyard? Because clipping the lanyard to the BC in the water proved too difficult.
- Gus
What are most divers doing for securing there housing. No straps, 1 strap, or two straps? Advantages and disadvantages? All advice appreciated.Thanks,
Zeb
I have loads of equipment to look after when I'm diving. So I'm in favor of securing the camera.
Clip 1 & 2 on the camera D-ring, 3 on the harness / bc D-ring to make it short.
Unclip 2 to make it longer.
Simple, strong and cheap.
Works for hoisting your camera down by the boatcrew as well.![]()
What are most divers doing for securing there housing. No straps, 1 strap, or two straps? Advantages and disadvantages? All advice appreciated.Thanks,
Zeb
I subscribe to the "high and tight" school for securing gear. I added Al. plates with holes fore & aft to the top of the Nexus handles. I have CETACEA quick release straps attached to D rings on my BC. The straps terminate with "boat" clips that fit into the aft holes in the plates. I use a retractor cord to keep my gauge consol secured to my chest and the octopus is on the BC inflator. I can attach a carrying strap or accessories to the fore holes. Being able to secure my camera is useful while descending a hydroid encrusted cable with a 5 knot cross current (been there, and with no gloves). If I need to adjust my or my buddy’s equipment, I can secure the camera and have two hands for the job. Another benefit is there is no danglely stuff to crash into or snag on the reef.
Johnny Christensen has a clever setup.
Very well done website! ![]()
I'm usually scootering. I also have an HID can light on one hand. And I dive with a dry suit, sometimes a deco bottle.
There are times when I need the camera to just hang out while I manage equalizing, inflating the suit, scootering to the site, etc, etc, etc.
You get the idea.
I have a strap. Only one. Left chest D-ring, and then I push the cam back and rest it on my left butt cheek as I scoot from subject to subject.
I also put a handle strap on the top to allow for easier entry through the surf, a more sure hand off at the swimstep to the deck hands, etc.
Pic below.
---
Ken

(edit: OMG!!! Is that what this thing looked like when it was new in November? Unreal....)
Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.