Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Shiny New Gear - looking for tips

Started by dougie ·

  • 9Posts
  • 9Replies

Read-only discussion

Shiny New Gear - looking for tips

9 posts
  1. I've just purchased a Canon G9, Ikelite housing, Ikelite DS125 strobe + inon wide angle lens

     

    this is my first u/w outfit and I was looking for some hints & tips regarding best set-up and usage etc so that I'm not fiddling about *too* much with the settings on the first few dives.

     

    I'm off to the Red Sea in a couple of weeks so that's where both owner and camera will be tested!

     

    thanks

     

    Dougie

  2. although this thread is about the G7..Both the cameras are quite similar in most aspects. The links below should give you a good idea of setttings etc.

     

    Cheers,

     

    Diggy

     

    http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showt...=18903&st=0

     

    http://wetpixel.com/forums/lofiversion/index.php/t18903.html

     

    http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showt...20881&st=20

     

     

     

    I've just purchased a Canon G9, Ikelite housing, Ikelite DS125 strobe + inon wide angle lens

     

    this is my first u/w outfit and I was looking for some hints & tips regarding best set-up and usage etc so that I'm not fiddling about *too* much with the settings on the first few dives.

     

    I'm off to the Red Sea in a couple of weeks so that's where both owner and camera will be tested!

     

    thanks

     

    Dougie

  3. Lucky you. Good vis in the Red Sea will help tremendously.

     

    The most simple tips you need to remember are;

     

    1) Get close....REAL close. Try to use the zoom as a last resort. For some shots like Nudi's, etc, my camera is ALMOST touching the subject. Less water between you and the subject brings out color and sharpness you see in top quality shots

     

    2) Point your strobes so that the EDGE of the strobe light catches the subject. DO NOT point directly at the subject or directly in the path between the lens/subject. Doing this will avoid the dreaded backscatter to a certain degree

     

    3) Try to shoot upwards or straight on.....downward shots only produce so so pictures

     

    4) Take MANY shots of the same subject....play with the strobe settings if using manual strobe. I also tend to "shoot- creep closer- shoot- creep closer" in case I spook the fish.

     

    Have fun and don't let the camera interfere with the diving skills. Keep the camera on Auto for the beginning. Just remember to switch to Macro mode if shooting Macro. As you get more comfortable, then play with manual settings.

     

    Finally, post here! We would love to see your shots!

  4. Shoot RAW images, you probably know that and make sure you have enough storage for the trip if not taking a laptop. Photoshop elements will allow a large amount of exposure and colour correction that can rescue that great shot got wrong.

  5. General tip: Extend your arms before you get to the subject. Darned fish always run away if you get close and THEN thrust out your arms!

     

    I'm thinking of buying a similar setup - you bought the "special" housing that lets you use the lens adapter for your camera? Or did you get the standard flat port?

  6. Fire off a test shot or two before leaving the boat to make sure everything is on/operational- its really hard to open up a housing under water and make something right. Get an ankle weight 1 lb or so to help keep you feet under control and also aid in getting shots pointing up as recommended above- floaty feet are a shot killer. Last, concentrate on good diving skills- good bouyancy will help you get better shots

  7. General tip: Extend your arms before you get to the subject. Darned fish always run away if you get close and THEN thrust out your arms!

     

    I'm thinking of buying a similar setup - you bought the "special" housing that lets you use the lens adapter for your camera? Or did you get the standard flat port?

    I bought the INON flat port adapter + Inon w/a lens for the Ikelite housing

     

    dougie

  8. Congrats on both your new rig and upcoming trip.

     

    One thing to consider if you're thinking about any type of night/dusk dive is a focus light. I got the Fisheye LED light -- it has a very nice, smooth pattern. I used it on a 10 day trip nearly every day and the batteries never died. Very nice for night diving as well because it becomes your primary light.

     

    If you're trying to get pictures of a subject at greater distance than your strobe will reach try turning off the flash and go with natural light and either manual white balance or the UW setting.

     

    Also, try the video mode. I got some great video of some octopus, turtles, etc on my last trip.

     

    Good luck

  9. Hi all

     

    here are some pictures from the trip

     

    thanks for the advice

     

    Dougie

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.