Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Keeping water droplets off huge split level dome.

Started by Sean Davey ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

Keeping water droplets off huge split level dome.

5 posts
  1. Hi all

    this is my first time, posting on this site. Iwas actually reccomended to try here by someone on pdn's site. Anyhow, I do a lot of work in and around the surf, particularly here on the Nth Shore of Oahu. I recently took delivery of a large dome specifically made for shooting split level images. That is; pictures that show above and below the water line simultaneously. I'm very familiar with both "wet port" and "dry port" procedures for regular sized domes, but neither work with this large dome and I need to be able to keep the dome clear of water droplets. Can anyone reccomend a good technique or product that definitely will work with such a large dome?

    Thankyou all for your time.

    Aloha

     

    Sean

     

     

    www.seandavey.com

  2. Hi Sean

     

    I have used a household product called "Finish" (UK name but available worldwide) it is a rinse agent normally added to your dishwasher.

     

    I usually use a small drop polished into the dome prior to each dive. As I haven't tried any split level shots for a while I cannot remember how good it is, its so cheap its got to be worth a try?

     

    PauP

  3. I once heard of someone who used the auto windshield product "Rain-X" to make the surface more "slippery", but I've never tried it and I don't know how it worked out on a camera. The company also makes a similar product for the inside of car windshields that is slightly different but I'm not at all familiar with it.

  4. Some products contain Petrolium so Iam not sure about their suitability on Acrylic ports?

    I remember buying Rain-X but was unsure about using it.

     

    PauP

  5. I have read a number of recommendations for Rain X. I have also read of several manufacturers warning that Rain X could damage housings.

     

    I would suggest trying some of the de fog solutions. Of course I believe that those solutions are based upon dishwashing detergent.

AOI

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.