Skip to content

Conservation and the Environment / Archived topic

Free diving with Beluga Whales

Started by Nunomix ·

  • 8Posts
  • 8Replies

Read-only discussion

Free diving with Beluga Whales

8 posts
  1. Those are the Belugas which are reportedly kept in big nets, part of a "conservation" project in the Solovetski islands. It's pretty much like the whalesharks in Okinawa's Yomitan project. Except there is some scientific work done on them but basically it's a swim with beluga trip.

  2. Those are the Belugas which are reportedly kept in big nets, part of a "conservation" project in the Solovetski islands. It's pretty much like the whalesharks in Okinawa's Yomitan project. Except there is some scientific work done on them but basically it's a swim with beluga trip.

     

     

    If it is like that it is pretty sad. Wonderful animals though. So gentle.

  3. If it is like that it is pretty sad. Wonderful animals though. So gentle.

     

    I guess every Tom, Dick and Mary will be there

  4. Well only if Tom Dick and Mary like hard travelling. It's not easy to get to Solovetski.

    I'm trying to get confirmation on the status of the belugas including whether they are captured or not. As a friend told me, it's pretty fishy to have the belugas there from summer to winter, the same 2 whales too.

  5. It will be interested to hear, Drew. Many of the magazines that boycotted the Antibes Festival because it was at a dolphinarium have run pictures of these whales. Let's hope that they are free.

    Alex

  6. Well it's confirmed the Belugas are captive with nets. Even the video from the link (at 2.44 mins) shows the nets, much like the Yomitan whalesharks (except there was an article claiming the sharks were being rehabbed, which they obviously weren't).

    I'm not sure which magazines boycotted Antibes but obviously many mag editors rely on the writers to be forthcoming with captive animals etc. I doubt they'd research out of due diligence. I'm not accusing Andrey or Dan of anything. They just wrote articles/programs. I just want to make sure people know the images are from captured mammals.

    Apparently, these belugas have been in the pens for several years now and are very used to divers.

    Edited by Drew
  7. I would much rather travel to Canada to see them in a more natural setting (in the video the whales acted like they were in Sea World).

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.