Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

O-rings material

Started by alex ·

  • 9Posts
  • 9Replies

Read-only discussion

O-rings material

9 posts
  1. Hi all,

     

    What are the Sea&Sea O-rings made of?

     

    I'm looking into getting spares and I would like to get them from my local hardware store. He got me this morning Silicone O-rings, but they are definitely harder than the original, and I didn't' get them.

    I think I've doing things not right because in the past I had my Inon O-rings swelling up.

    What I've been reading is that Silicone grease SHOULDN'T be used on Silicone O-rings. Which grease should be used then?

    It would be definitely easier to get grease and O-rings from the original companies, wouldn't it?

     

    Thanks a lot for any idea.

     

    alex

  2. I wouldn't go for replacement O-rings.

    It cost so little but defend equipment that cost so much, its not worth it.

    When you use the manufacture items you have the exact instruction what and if to use, I wouldn't listen to general answers, in Ikelite for instance there are O-rings that need Silicone and rings that not, there are difference even in the same manufacturer's items

  3. Hi Alex,

     

    please don't buy replacements. it is not worth losing your camera becuase you want to save a few dollars. I met a gy you bought O rings in the hardware stire, and yes after his first dive with the "new"O rings, had had water in his housing.

    So buy the original ones.

  4. There are so many types of silicon-based o-rings that you would be hard pressed to match what Sea&Sea is using. Different co-polymers with a variety of different rubber materials were probably tested during product development and they came up with IMHO a superior product to the older Nikonos style rings. I third the opinions above, why risk a $900 strobe with a $5 savings in rings.

  5. Hi all,

     

    Thanks a lot. I'll definitely follow your advises.

    Actually, it was not about cost (because the O-rings were not much cheaper), but convenience.

    I've already ordered all the original sets yesterday.

    After few years I'm taking photos it was good to learn about different combinations of material and greases.

     

    Thanks a lot for your help.

    alex

  6. Hi Alex

     

    Sea & Sea make their own brand of "O"-ring lubricant. I would certainly advise you to use it exclusively. Other lubricants can easily damage them and it is just NOT worth the risk.

     

    Roger

  7. What if I run out of S&S lubricant, where can I get new?! For now I have 4 little tubes which I got with my equipment! I have also Mares silicon grease and I think it`s the same as S&S!

  8. What if I run out of S&S lubricant, where can I get new?! For now I have 4 little tubes which I got with my equipment! I have also Mares silicon grease and I think it`s the same as S&S!

    You can try at B&H and probably the local dealer of S&S will have it too.

  9. What if I run out of S&S lubricant, where can I get new?

     

    The replacement o-rings for sea&sea come with tubes of grease as well. I have so many tubes of sea&sea grease kicking around now I use it to service my regs too! :guiness:

Turtle

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.