Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Lenses: DX of FX to start with?

Started by Pfiffikus25 ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Lenses: DX of FX to start with?

4 posts
  1. Hi All!

     

    I am looking for a used D200 and a used housing these days and have a question regarding the lenses: What should I go for ... DX or FX? I just read the topic around the new Tokina 11-16mm, and there some of you mention that FX in consumer SLR cameras is not too far away. What I want to prevent is to spent money on glass for the D200, and then need to get other ones if I want to upgrade, lets say in 2-3 years.

     

    My first approach will be macro, so the 60mm Micro by Nikon will be my first lense - no doubt about that. This lense will do for DX and FX, although I might want to extend to the 105mm Micro when the consumer cameras come with FX sensor.

     

    But what about the wide angle lenses? Which focal length will work well on both? Shall I only go for lenses which work on both? As far as I understand, the DX lenses have a smaller diameter, because they do not need to cover that much sensor area, however this will result in vignetting on any FX camera.

     

    Looking forward to you opinion, cheers Wolfgang

  2. Hi All!

     

    I am looking for a used D200 and a used housing these days and have a question regarding the lenses: What should I go for ... DX or FX? I just read the topic around the new Tokina 11-16mm, and there some of you mention that FX in consumer SLR cameras is not too far away. What I want to prevent is to spent money on glass for the D200, and then need to get other ones if I want to upgrade, lets say in 2-3 years.

     

    My first approach will be macro, so the 60mm Micro by Nikon will be my first lense - no doubt about that. This lense will do for DX and FX, although I might want to extend to the 105mm Micro when the consumer cameras come with FX sensor.

     

    But what about the wide angle lenses? Which focal length will work well on both? Shall I only go for lenses which work on both? As far as I understand, the DX lenses have a smaller diameter, because they do not need to cover that much sensor area, however this will result in vignetting on any FX camera.

     

    Looking forward to you opinion, cheers Wolfgang

     

    15 mm Sigma FE

    16 mm Nikon FE

    14-24/2.8 Nikon zoom

    14/2.8 mm Nikon

    14/2.8 Sigma

     

    The fisheyes are 'cheap' and quite usable on DX, even though they were designed for 35 mm film. The zoom and the prime are expensive alternatives, a lot of unnessecary glass when shooting DX. But they work.

     

    /c

  3. Hi Wolfgang

     

    You're right, DX lenses have a smaller diameter than FX. So if you use a DX lens on an FX-equipped camera you will either get vignetting; or, if you use a Nikon D3, the camera will switch automatically to DX mode.

     

    Which lenses to go for? Well if you really want to play safe, it would make sense to go with FX lenses. As you rightly say, there is no problem with the Nikkor 60mm. A lot of us use the Nikkor 12-24 but that is a DX as you have probably seen. So I guess if you want to go with Nikkor, then you should have a look at the new 14-24mm which is DX.

     

    Hope this helps!

  4. I think if you are getting a D200, you should not short change yourself on getting some of the excellent DX lenses which will work best with the D200. DX will be around for a while, and even if FX ultimately becomes the standard, you will always obtain excellent images with presently available DX systems. There are actually some advantages of DX, particularly underwater. Obviously where possible buy lenses that will work with both, for example the Nikon 17-35, 60, 105, 70-200 and even the 16mm. Personally the 12-24 is not my favorite lens underwater, and using a lens like the Tokina 10-17 and the Nikon 17-35, you are going to get pretty good coverage at the wide angle end. And worse case scenario, you will have to replace your 10-17 when and if you upgrade to FX.

Retra

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.