Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

SDHC cards and compatibility

Started by mbailey ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

SDHC cards and compatibility

4 posts
  1. Greetings:

     

    Does anybody know if the Sea & Sea DX - 1G is compatible with 8GB SDHC cards? The specs say it is compatible with SDHC (4G ) but I believe when they were written, there was no 8GB card on the market.

     

    Also does anybody have any SDHC cards they would recommend. I have used digital SLRs for years, but none used the SD-style chip.

     

    Also has anybody used the eye-fi wireless SD card?

     

    Thanks for any input.

  2. There were some threads about the Eye-fi on Scubaboard. If I recall the gist, it was fairly slow in transferring, could only transfer to one laptop (e.g. it didn't really just link in wireless mode to a wireless 'network' like a laptop itself does, but had to link to a specific device), and there were obvious battery issues (wirelessly transmitting must be done with the camera on supplying power to the card). I was one of those somewhat enamored of the idea of not having to crack the housing to yank the images, but once I thought thru the speed issue it became a non-starter solution.

     

    As far as SDHC, I'd think if the camera is SDHC compatible it will be regardless of the *size* of the SDHC card, since the SDHC is a standard. 4GB, 8GB doesn't matter, it'll be FAT-32 formatted (or whatever). Just don't try buying a NON -HC type SD card in above the 1GB type size if the camera wants to see SDHC for larger cards. At least that's how I understand it. Internally I don't think there's a lot of difference between the actual silicon that's in the SD or the CF formats, the CF is just a bigger slot and interface still. (You can often find converter adaptors for SD cards that let them fit into CF slots, which I think proves this point out).

  3. There were some threads about the Eye-fi on Scubaboard. If I recall the gist, it was fairly slow in transferring, could only transfer to one laptop (e.g. it didn't really just link in wireless mode to a wireless 'network' like a laptop itself does, but had to link to a specific device), and there were obvious battery issues (wirelessly transmitting must be done with the camera on supplying power to the card). I was one of those somewhat enamored of the idea of not having to crack the housing to yank the images, but once I thought thru the speed issue it became a non-starter solution.

     

    As far as SDHC, I'd think if the camera is SDHC compatible it will be regardless of the *size* of the SDHC card, since the SDHC is a standard. 4GB, 8GB doesn't matter, it'll be FAT-32 formatted (or whatever). Just don't try buying a NON -HC type SD card in above the 1GB type size if the camera wants to see SDHC for larger cards. At least that's how I understand it. Internally I don't think there's a lot of difference between the actual silicon that's in the SD or the CF formats, the CF is just a bigger slot and interface still. (You can often find converter adaptors for SD cards that let them fit into CF slots, which I think proves this point out).

    Thanks for the info. The camera arrived and I bought a SanDisk Ultra II SDHC 8GB card($99 at Best Buy). The camera formatted it with no problem. In RAW mode it indicated 496 photos.

  4. I've actually had a bit of a problem recently with 2 Kingston Pro-II (x133 speed) CF 8 GB cards. Both showed 'card error' after only 3-4 pictures in the camera.

     

    I did a deep (not 'quick') format on both and re-created the DCIM folder the Olympus wanted to see. After that, they've worked fine so far in tests for 20-30 shots each. Would just hate to get underwater and suddenly see this lock up and "CARD ERROR" notice. Almost makes me wish I didn't give away my XD card to my daughter...at least then I'd have the other slot populated just in case and could switch out saving mode while under....

     

    Guess we find out as soon as Tuesday, off to Dominica (finally!!) tomorrow a.m.

    Edited by rtrski
WaterPixels Store

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.