Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic
Is Edius On the Mac Next?
Started by TheRealDrew ·
- 8Posts
- 8Replies
Read-only discussion
Is Edius On the Mac Next?
-
-
Hey what are you guys going to do with all these new software options to pick from to run on your MACS.
My personal tests is that cinema craft is a very good encoder but the old http://www.tmpgenc.net/en/index.html engine is better.
-
Hey what are you guys going to do with all these new software options to pick from to run on your MACS.
Figure out where money is going to be spent, new rigs, new lenses, new software, or just throw caution to the wind and just use the credit card to find out how much we can get away with
My personal tests is that cinema craft is a very good encoder but the old http://www.tmpgenc.net/en/index.html engine is better.Back to running Parallels to get that working

-
Cinemcraft Encoder is my favourite piece of software ever. TMPGEnc is great but when I was testing in my opinion CCE had the edge (I was doing PAL interlaced) and importantly was way faster. I've lost count of the number of times it's got me out of the sh1t when I've got a DVD deadline approaching and I need that MPEG2 now. Easily the best $58 I ever spent.
I bet they don't do a $58 Mac version though.
-
Yeah that's been in the pot for a while. However, it's the Xtream that is what major studios tend to use, and only after they remaster for DVD. It's really almost like another edit to get the look right on DVD. It's like a blackart, coloring and levels for DVD compression etc.
-
I bet they don't do a $58 Mac version though.
I run the $58 version on my Intel Mac right now, though it does have some wrinkles in terms of Codecs you can work with with HD/SD
The one coming out for the speed, quality and codecs (if that is what is needed) is probably worth the incremental cost (sort of the same way there are different versions for the PC.) -
Yeh $58 for the software and the other $469 for the APPLE logo

I don't think we need to be as picky in the encoding as Hollywood.
Drew how much is Xtream to buy?
I remember TMPGEnc when it first came out...it was built by a guy and was for free. I think it does better Pal to NTSC as well than Cinemcraft. It has a huge amount of tweaking ability's.
Pretty funny, for the day vids here now Kelly knocks out a full authored DVD ready to burn straight from a 15-20 minute HDV timeline in about 10 minutes with EDIUS
Then out it goes to 3 burners at the same time so one can have many DVD's done in under one hour flat. -
I remember TMPGEnc when it first came out...it was built by a guy and was for free. I think it does better Pal to NTSC as well than Cinemcraft. It has a huge amount of tweaking ability's.
You can't even do a PAL -NTSC conversion in Cinemacraft can you? At least not in the basic version I don't think. It detects your format and sticks with it from what I can tell.
Years ago I spent $700 for Procoder 1 just to do PAL > NTSC conversion. I must have been mad. These days I find that bog standard Vegas does an indistinguishable job to Procoder 2 just by choosing a best settings and blend field deinterlace. I tried TMPGenc Xpress for PAL > NTSC and it's sharper but it's a bit jumpy so I go with Vegas now.
The free TMPGenc is a brilliant MPEG2 encoder though. The reason I love Cinemacraft so much is really the speed.