Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Laptop spec for photo editing

Started by Bucks ·

  • 8Posts
  • 8Replies

Read-only discussion

Laptop spec for photo editing

8 posts
  1. I am looking at buying a new laptop for storing & editing my photo's, I am looking at the "Dell Latitude D630 & D830" as these also have the HSDPA mobile broadband built in, Does anyone have any experience of these models or any other advise/recommendations also what sort of spec ideally should I be looking at for processors, memory, graphics cards etc etc

    MANY THANKS

    Paul

    Edited by Paul Buckley
  2. Hi Paul,

     

    I have the D630. The display seems decent and I was able to get a good calibration. If you use WinXP you should max out at 3 gigs of RAM and if you use Vista I think the OS can use more. For photo editing, you need as much ram as you can get. Also make sure to get a 7200rpm HD. You'll also want to buy a Cardbus or Expresscard reader for copying your photos onto the laptop.

     

    Cheers

    James

  3. Thanks for the info James,

     

    What about screen resolution, the D630 has two options 1280 x 800 resolution or 1440 x 900 resolution @ £14 extra, as for operating system I get the impression it is better sticking with XP rather than Vista.

     

    Thanks again

    Paul

  4. I use a compal 1fl90 that I bought from powernotebooks.com There is a newer model that has the latest intel cpus and chipsets. very reasonably priced. 15.4" 168x1050 matte screen, 4 GB ram mine has a 120 GB 7200 rpm hard drive and an intel T7700 CPU, runs great no complaints, about a year old. weighs 7 pounds.

    I would configure with a larger hard drive.

  5. I use a compal 1fl90 that I bought from powernotebooks.com There is a newer model that has the latest intel cpus and chipsets. very reasonably priced. 15.4" 168x1050 matte screen, 4 GB ram mine has a 120 GB 7200 rpm hard drive and an intel T7700 CPU, runs great no complaints, about a year old. weighs 7 pounds.

    I would configure with a larger hard drive.

     

    I'm using the model from the year before Hel 80 bought through Voodoo PC with 2 gb ram, 2.33 core2duo, 80 gb 7200 HDD and a 1680x1050 display.

     

    I'm not overly impressed with the display and I plan on buying an Apple monitor to help me with ediiting.

     

    Otherwise this laptop is really fast. :D

  6. If you use WinXP you should max out at 3 gigs of RAM and if you use Vista I think the OS can use more. For photo editing, you need as much ram as you can get. Also make sure to get a 7200rpm HD. You'll also want to buy a Cardbus or Expresscard reader for copying your photos onto the laptop.

     

    James is right.

    Yes, if you use 64-bit Vista you can use as much ram as it'll hold. And yeah, if you want to edit on a laptop, fast drives are a must. Can't wait for SSD drives to come down in price.....

  7. Hey Paul

     

    I'm using a two year old Sony VAIO laptop with 1GB RAM running XP Pro and can edit using Photoshop CS2, Lightroom, Elements 6.0 or Capture NX without a problem.

     

    The video card is only 1260x800 though and I'm just trying to work out if I can use an external high resolution monitor rather than the 13" screen. So maybe worth checking on the video card angle if you want to use a larger monitor at some stage.

    Edited by TimG
  8. Hi!

     

    I use a Macbook (Core2Duo, 2.2ghz) with 4 gb ram. Runs Lightroom without a hitch, and sometimes I plug my Iiyama 19" CRT as secondary display for photo editing. But I find the 13,3" display to be enough for most of the time.

     

    zook

WaterPixels Store

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.