I have a couple of large optical plastic UR Pro Filters which have (eventually and inevitably) acquired a scratch or two. Picture quality hasn't seemed to have suffered as the refractive index of water is, I understand, the same or very similar to the filter. However, it would be nice to see them pristine again.
I'd appreciate your recommendations for any appropriate buffing or polishing compounds (available in the UK?) and any techniques that are good for optical plastic.
Thanks in advance. Tim
Image quality has not suffered, so it is not broke!
Im it's not broke then don't fix it!
You will find however that shooting into the sun the scratches on the URPRO filter will show up.
Tim
Until normal acrylic ports which aren't coated, URPRO filters are layer pressed plastics... buff one layer off and you mess up the whole thing. Best to just change it. As Wags says, shoot into strong light and the scratches will show.
Thanks Wagsy and Drew. Your points well made. Best get the credit card out again...