Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Lightroom for Mac question

Started by saudio ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

Lightroom for Mac question

7 posts
  1. With my new copy of Lightroom, I cannot see any difference on the screen image when using the sharpening feature unless I zoom the image. In normal size, I can move the sharpening controls to the extreme, then hit reset, and I see no change on the image whatsoever. When zoomed, I can see it working distinctly.

     

    I moved from Canon's DPP to Lightroom because I didn't like the results of the sharpening tool in DPP and ended up having to open the shots that needed sharpening in Elements, another lengthy step. Without being able to see the results of sharpening in Lightroom, I can only guess what the outcome will be upon saving.

     

    Also, I can't seem to find any phone support for Lightroom, only mentions that there are forums available, which I can not locate either.

     

    Any help or suggestions?

     

    Thanks

     

    Mike

  2. Unfortunately, there is no help. That is the way it is. Lightroom's sharpening functions are not the greatest, and it's a 'feature' that you cant see any sharpening results unless you zoom in. For images where you truly care about optimal sharpness it's best to export to photoshop or similar program, sharpen there, and let LR re-import the sharpened image (or do whatever with it).

     

    Cor

  3. Anybody want to buy a copy of Lightroom for Mac?

     

     

    :-)

     

    Well, thanks for the information. At least I know I don't have something wrong.

     

    Aperture, here I come.

  4. Yes, keep your eye on Aperture. It appears that noise and sharpening plug-ins, amongst others, will soon be available form various vendors. The built-in sharpening tools I think are quite good as well.

  5. Since I need to run a few Windows machines, I cant use Aperture. Even with LR's few shortcomings, it's still better than NOT running LR :D It has improved my workflow immeasurably.

     

    Cor

  6. Yes, keep your eye on Aperture. It appears that noise and sharpening plug-ins, amongst others, will soon be available form various vendors. The built-in sharpening tools I think are quite good as well.

    Aperture's plug-in architecture requires exporting/importing the image so the holy grail of non-destructive editing is lost. I think that is wrong-thinking of Apple and not really a meaningful improvement. Lightroom is getting an SDK as well and its will allow modifications to LR's interface itself. We'll see if Adobe manages to preserve non-destructive edits with theirs.

  7. There's plenty of Lightroom help on-line:

     

    http://www.photoshopuser.com/lightroom2/

     

    http://learn.adobe.com/wiki/display/LR/Home -- look to the right-hand side of the page

     

    http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/

     

    http://luanneseymour.wordpress.com/2008/04...-beta-launches/

     

    Also, check out the Lightroom training videos on www.lynda.com.

     

    Also, when I bought Lightroom 1.0, it's cross-platform meaning the one/same version is good for both PC &/or Mac. Right now, the Beta version 2.0 on the Adobe Labs website, there's the free download for there's a separate download for PC or Mac.

Keldan

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.