Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Underwater photography while snorkeling

Started by CaymanB ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

Underwater photography while snorkeling

3 posts
  1. A question on underwater photography while snorkeling.

     

    I used a Sea & Sea Motormarine II film camera with Strobe for years but I had trouble getting close enough to my subjects and focus was pure guesswork. I snorkel much more than I dive due to poor sinuses. So, I purchased a Nikon Coolpix 8800 for its significant ability to zoom, Ikelite housing, and DS-125 strobe. In crystal clear water a bit of zoom is not bad. If you spend four hours a day snorkeling and then go out again at night you do get some opportunities for nice pictures.

     

    While the quality of the pictures jumped significantly with the Nikon Coolpix 8800 I find the shutter lag very frustrating. When I dive this is not an issue as I find I have more time to capture my subjects. When I snorkel I need a fast response as I have less ability to hang motionless and fish react more to my presence.

     

    If I purchase a Nikon D80 or D300 and associated housing will I experience a significant improvement in response time between pressing the shutter release and the camera focusing and taking the shot? An advantage of course, to moving to a DSLR, would be the ability to change lenses between snorkeling and diving.

     

    Does anyone have a camera recommendation for quick focus and capture while snorkeling?

     

    If you don’t mind an off the wall question - I would think a mask mounted display linked to the camera would be useful though maybe impractical – has anyone ever seen something like this?

     

    CaymanB

  2. Any dSLR is going to have a LOT less shutter lag than the best point and shoots.

     

    D40 is Nikon's cheapest and smallest dSLR. I had one and the shutter lag is indistinguishable from that of a Nikonos. AF is also very important. Once again almost all dSLRs are going to be much better than almost any point and shoot.

     

    dSLRs are actually easy to snorkel with. Only question is if you want to spend the money. A dSLR and housing are a lot bigger to carry on a trip or even on a boat. Fragility might be a factor if you anticipate rough conditions.

  3. Any dSLR is going to have a LOT less shutter lag than the best point and shoots.

     

    D40 is Nikon's cheapest and smallest dSLR. I had one and the shutter lag is indistinguishable from that of a Nikonos. AF is also very important. Once again almost all dSLRs are going to be much better than almost any point and shoot.

     

    dSLRs are actually easy to snorkel with. Only question is if you want to spend the money. A dSLR and housing are a lot bigger to carry on a trip or even on a boat. Fragility might be a factor if you anticipate rough conditions.

     

    Thank you for your reply. My thought was that a DSLR housing would be smaller. Your comment sent me to the Ikelite site to check dimensions. It appears we are both right. A D80 or D300 Ikelite housing is 1.25 inches wider at the handles but 3 inches smaller in depth without a lens port. The height is the same. The 3 inch savings in depth would make packing much easier - so I guess it is all about the money. With the housing as a constant cost my thought is to go with a D300 verses a D80.

     

    Thank you again for your reply.

     

    CaymanB

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.