Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Labeling images

Started by loftus ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

Labeling images

7 posts
  1. When importing images into programs like Lightroom or Aperture, how do folks label their images; that is do you change the NEF (Nikon) moniker and number each time you import?

    Do you use place and date, your name, subject ?

    What is your format? I'm trying to decide on the most logical way to do this.

  2. Everyone does it differently, I'm sure. When I import, I rename to jwiseman-######.jpg Where the #'s are the original image name and number for my camera (VC9h2566.jpg). I keyword the place, subject, or event.

     

    I know other people who replace the image number with the date and time like jwiseman-080226 for Feb 26 08

     

    Cheers

    James

  3. My labeling is GJS (my initials) {CUSTOM} DATE ###.jpg

     

    so for example GJS_CAY_020607_065.jpg the CAY there will stand for Cayman .. or it will be another area name .. for quick search of all photos from a trip .. or an Event like TENNIS etc etc

     

    i have just started keywording the custom value into new imports with lightroom though, so it will probably be initials and a number soon.

  4. Hey Loftus

     

    Yeah, as James says, everyone has their own style. I replace the camera-generated RAW name with TGxxxxx.nef the xs being digits from 0-9. I figure if I get beyond 99999 images I can always start from 00001 again :) I then use the Organiser in PSE6.0 to keyword the pics. They are then easy to find even if moved offline as each image has its own individual number and Elements knows which file number has been stored where offline.

     

    But I can certainly appreciate Giles' way of including a country reference in the file name. I just use PSE keywords to achieve that rather than extending the file name. Horses for courses.

    Edited by TimG
  5. Thanks guys; just trying to get some ideas. After giving it some thought I think I will do the following:

    I use Aperture, and all imports are imported into a 'Project' initially.

    What makes sense for me is 'Project Name - Date - Image number in Project'

    This way I always know which project it came from when the image is used elsewhere, which could be a place name, a model name etc.

    My own name is embedded in copyright anyway, and keywords are added for more detailed subject searches.

  6. Let me add as well, I realised after I will always keep this way of labelling as for fun party pics etc etc I don't keyword or any of that, so the name and folder they are in is how i find those !

  7. im using "CB_YYYYMMDD_XXXXX.NEF" where XXXXX is assigned by the camera.

     

    Cor

Isotta

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.