Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

BOOK REVIEW

Started by bruceterrill ·

  • 1Posts
  • 1Replies

Read-only discussion

BOOK REVIEW

1 posts
  1. Hi Guys,

    I was unsure as to where I should place this review so I just chose to put it here where everyone stops by.

    I was also unsure as to whether I could place a review without the Author's consent?

    The book is called "Understanding RAW Photography" By Andy Rouse.

    The reason for the review? Quite simply, this is the most informative book that I have read on the subject of RAW photography; period.

    I have purchased, and read, many books on the subject of RAW photography, trying to get my head around what , I am told, is a simple and easily understood subject. Well it hasn't been for me! Every author seems to have a different idea and interpretation as to what and how to use this system. Add the amount of authors to the different styles of photography and things start to get out of hand, if not a little confusing.

    Back to the book, or correctly, the author. Andy Rouse is well known throughout the world as an experienced and successful wildlife photographer. That helps us out for a start in that he is targeting the outdoor environment and particularly the critters in that environment. This bodes well, for the techniques used by him are closer to ours than portrait photographer for example.

    Now the big surprise. While there is an "In the field" chapter, most of this book is written for after the shoot and what happens when you get your images home from the field.

     

    EDIT EDIT EDIT.... Whoa!

     

    Sorry folks, that was getting way too long winded!

     

    I picked up this book for about 60bucks aud. It has been the most informative and educational tool on the subject of RAW workflow that I have read! Every step of the RAW process and image development is listed, followed by a written explanation and then picture "how to do's".

    An introduction on "Why shoot RAW" followed by chapters on;

    #1 Workflow overview,

    #2 In the field,

    #3 Editing essentials,

    #4 RAW correction and processing,

    #5 Finishing off,

    #6 Digital asset management,

    Glossary, Useful contacts, Index...

    Rouse's own images are used throughout the book and are simply supurb.

    This book is easy to read and even easier to understand. I have learnt more from this book than any ten others on my book shelf!

    My only advice is that you have been told, so buy one.

    ISBN 978-1-86108-515-3

    I do not know Andy Rouse and have never met him. But if he wants to thank me for this review, he has a couple of other books that I wouldn't mind having a look at... :)

     

    Bruce...

    Edited by bruceterrill
Marelux

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.