This is a huge forum, and it will take an eternity to sift through all the threads for the pearls of wisdom that lie here, but.....
I have been browsing the FOTW competition pictures and I think I already know one of the secrets of underwater photography - pure blind luck.
I live in Bermuda and dive all year round. I have traveled extensively for diving holidays around the world, and I have never even seen a tenth of the awesome marine life that some of these guys have photographed. If I ever see a frogfish I will be happy, if I spend long enough with one that I can get a blurry photo of one I will be ecstatic.
No matter how good a photographer we may be (and some of you are awesome) we must all remember how lucky we are when our award winning subject appears.
Cheers
Hal