Hi
OK, slowly unravelling these mysteries.
I have been a point and shoot guy for years
and have only just got into underwater photography. So when I started out I simply bought the best P+S camera I could find that came with a manufactorers dedicated housing - hence the Canon Ixus 950is
I dived with this happily, so thought I would add some lenses - and that is where the trouble begins. I am now somewhere in no-mans-land between Mr Snaphappy and Mr Fullyloadedfeatures.
I started out by trawling the web for tips and came across http://www.jimchurchphoto.com/index_podcast.html. Mike and Mike explained the real basics of U/W photography, and I found these podcasts enourmously helpful.
(Sorry to Gus_Smedstad - see thread http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?act=S...=29&t=24006 - I didn't realise you had 37years photo experience, you where snapping away when I was 3! Anyway - back to Mike and Mike....)
Their major tips were
1) Go Manual
2) The 5 tricks to good pictures are ISO / White balance / RAW / Metering patterns / Adobe RGB
3) Fix speed and flash, but change f-stop as you get closer
No the real dilemma. I am happy with my camera and do not want to upgrade (Yet B) ) so can I follow these tips with my Ixus?
ISO - no problem, I can control that
White Balance - I have an underwater setting and manual white balance - no problem there
Metering - this is OK too, I get the choice of spot or center weighted
RAW - not an option, only does JPG
Adobe or sRGB - no clue which the Ixus uses, and no way to change it anyway
F-stops - This seems a good idea. Without sTTL the flash output is fixed, so fix the shutter speed and control the F-stop with distance. However my camera has no manual control over the F-stop BUT I can control the ExposureCompensation from -2.0EV to + 2.0EV in 1/3EV steps. Is this essentially the same?
Any tricks or tips would be helpful
Cheers
Hal
