Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Stage 6 reborn

Started by Giles ·

  • 14Posts
  • 14Replies

Read-only discussion

Stage 6 reborn

14 posts
  1. http://divxit.net/

     

    DivXit.com is gonna try and do the stage 6 thing again by the looks of it, I thought stage 6 was closed down due to copyright laws, apparently it just lost millions each month.

     

    Could give all the HD shooters out there a place to store and display, probably with some risk of it going under just like Stage 6 did .. ?

     

    Does a new stage 6 excite anyone ? I know i loved it for it's tv shows and movies etc .. but legit users must love it's storage and wide format etc.

  2. http://divxit.net/

     

    DivXit.com is gonna try and do the stage 6 thing again by the looks of it, I thought stage 6 was closed down due to copyright laws, apparently it just lost millions each month.

     

    Could give all the HD shooters out there a place to store and display, probably with some risk of it going under just like Stage 6 did .. ?

     

    Does a new stage 6 excite anyone ? I know i loved it for it's tv shows and movies etc .. but legit users must love it's storage and wide format etc.

     

    If it's DivX, I am honestly not interested.

    vimeo may be a bit limited but at least I can just upload the H.264 to it

  3. If it's DivX, I am honestly not interested.

    vimeo may be a bit limited but at least I can just upload the H.264 to it

     

    Agreed. It was beautiful, but just too big a PITA. Asking people to install the DivX player just to watch my videos was just not very popular. Nor should it have been. You couldn't even download the original. Just the DiVX version.

  4. What share site and compression program are you guys using ? I'm using Vimeo and the HD version works decent, but I still think Stage6/Divx looked a lot better.

  5. What share site and compression program are you guys using ? I'm using Vimeo and the HD version works decent, but I still think Stage6/Divx looked a lot better.

     

     

    Have you guys tried using the http://www.hdvundersea.com/ site that Wagsy created to host HDV underwater video ?

    Are you reluctant to use it for a particular reason or is lacking something you need ?

  6. Have you guys tried using the http://www.hdvundersea.com/ site that Wagsy created to host HDV underwater video ?

    Are you reluctant to use it for a particular reason or is lacking something you need ?

     

    I am uploading 720P/4000kbps movies to vimeo (170MB ish) I dont think wagsy wants them that big ...

  7. Have you guys tried using the http://www.hdvundersea.com/ site that Wagsy created to host HDV underwater video ?

    Are you reluctant to use it for a particular reason or is lacking something you need ?

     

    From Wagsy's site:

     

    "We recommend encoding out (FLASH) flv clips with a resolution size of 480//270, CBR 500-700kbps, 16.9 aspect ratio. For 4.3 clips, place then in a 16.9 timeline and encode them out as 480/270 16.9 aspect ratio or else they will be stretched to fill the 16.9 players screen. Try to keep the clips to a few minutes in length and around 10-20megs in size."

     

     

    This doesn't help me at all. I'm uploading 720p or 480p at 2k-6k rates on Vimeo. And I don't have to write them out as flash files. Users can download the real deal in WMV or MOV.

  8. I really enjoyed the clarity of the Stage6 experience and would welcome the opportunity to share my videos through the DivX codec and player again. Vimeo has proven to be the best alternative to Stage6 in my opinion for good quality, full screen display. However, their 500 Mb weekly upload limit means that only a few clips can be uploaded each week.

  9. Well we could boost the upload size and go a dedicated server but that then starts to cost lots of money.

    I make no money from it and Mr Mooney's banner is there as he has helped us out with things over the last year or so.

     

    Also people will not sit there and wait for things to buffer if the the clips are too high.

    I know I don't and simply click away, thats why we set it to about 700kbps.

     

    You can load up other formats to the site but if you load up FLASH files they do not get re encoded by the server.

     

    Maybe over time as the net gets faster we will increase it abit. I may even build my own server if we end up moving to Perth.

     

    ERIC could let them be embedded here if he wanted too ...but that's up to him to decide as this is his forum/site.

     

    There has been some nice clips loaded up there since it has been going and I'm sure it will get many more as time goes by.

  10. Well we could boost the upload size and go a dedicated server but that then starts to cost lots of money.

    I make no money from it and Mr Mooney's banner is there as he has helped us out with things over the last year or so.

     

    Also people will not sit there and wait for things to buffer if the the clips are too high.

    I know I don't and simply click away, thats why we set it to about 700kbps.

    ...

     

    Dont want you to think I am complaining. I think it's great that you are offering the upload service, and fully understand this stuff doesn't come for free.

     

    I just wanted a place that would let me upload at higher bitrates was all, and vimeo mostly allows for this.

     

    I do upload some to utube but I am not a fan of that site.

     

    I may well upload my 'web' clips to the server, but they are all in H.264/Quicktime format and I am not sure if they will work or not.

  11. Agreed, my comments were not intended as a complaint. Merely a statement on what my preferences are. I know many people who looked at the videos I was uploading wanted to download them in the original format if possible. My channel on Vimeo is getting a LOT more hit than I ever got with Stage6.

     

    I also don't have a good flash writing tool here to produce good video. So I just have to use Vimeo or similar sites.

  12. I guess each of us are looking for something different on a share site.

     

    While getting a lot of hits is nice, my main concern is getting the best quality possible while maintaining a reasonable file size for streaming.

     

    I've noticed Vimeo HD has been stuttering lately on streaming.

  13. Agreed Ron. My preference falls to allowing the user see the video in reasonable quality online, but allowing them to download cleanest version in a format they can watch in quicktime or Windows Media Player.

     

    Vimeo HD has been having some issues since they started playing with a the frame rates and so forth. Hopefully, they will be embracing the h.264 embed in Flash so that no re-encode of the native files is necessary. I know they have spoken about that and are looking into it. It gives us better quality, and helps them because they don't have to dedicate so many CPU cycles to re-encoding everything that comes on.

  14. Anyone know what ABC is using for their HD streaming ?

     

    It looks very good.

Scuba.com

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.