Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Not a regular surf photo...

Started by vincentkneefel ·

  • 15Posts
  • 15Replies

Read-only discussion

Not a regular surf photo...

15 posts
  1. orca.jpg

     

    I just wanted to share this photo, I got it from a friend of mine (he is one of the surfers in water). It was taken a couple of years ago in New Zealand by someone he did not know and he only recently discovered that this picture existed.

     

    The guy catching the wave on the far left didn't see the Killer Whale btw...

    Edited by vincentkneefel
  2. Well, they used to eat whales, used to eat stellar sea lions, now they eat sea otters... who's next? :P

  3. I wonder if it was some kind of predatory behavior or if it was just having some fun. This doesn't happen often, right?

  4. I think it was just surfing like everyone else :lol:

  5. sure would hurt if the whale wiped out on top of you..

  6. sure would hurt if the whale wiped out on top of you..

     

    I will never forget the day we see 3 full sized orcas pass our skiff out at Cocos. Stupidly we jumped straight in to see them. Looking back on it now, it was one of the silliest things that I have done. Ok I managed to get a photo af 2 of them, one of which was in full on hunting mode with a freaking shark hanging from its mouth. Luckily no divers were attacked but it could have turned into something quite different.

     

    Stew

  7. I will never forget the day we see 3 full sized orcas pass our skiff out at Cocos. Stupidly we jumped straight in to see them. Looking back on it now, it was one of the silliest things that I have done. Ok I managed to get a photo af 2 of them, one of which was in full on hunting mode with a freaking shark hanging from its mouth.

     

    Stew

     

     

    I would love to that photo if you still have it.

  8. I would love to that photo if you still have it.

     

    Take a look at this thread Stew started a while back. The picture You are after is posted somewhere in the middle.

  9. Hey Stew - that's a great moment to have captured.

  10. Hey Stew - that's a great moment to have captured.

    http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=27093&hl=

     

    from the August issue of Diver in the UK

     

    It was indeed a great moment, but on reflection I do not think it was the best idea i have ever had. Shame i had a 10-22mm lens on as well. i would have prefered something not so wide. The crazy thing was the next day we had a 200+ pod of dolphind along side us and we asked if we could get in with them and our guide told us it was dangerous. lol

     

    Stew

  11. http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=27093&hl=

     

    from the August issue of Diver in the UK

     

    It was indeed a great moment, but on reflection I do not think it was the best idea i have ever had. Shame i had a 10-22mm lens on as well. i would have prefered something not so wide. The crazy thing was the next day we had a 200+ pod of dolphind along side us and we asked if we could get in with them and our guide told us it was dangerous. lol

     

    Stew

     

    Was that the same guide You had the day before, when snorkeling with Orcas? :lol:

  12. Was that the same guide You had the day before, when snorkeling with Orcas? :lol:

     

    Yes it was, when the orcas rocked up he was screaming " jump, jump, jump "

    and then to come out with " no it is too dangerous " when the dolphins were there had us all a bit puzzled.

     

    stew

  13. Yes it was, when the orcas rocked up he was screaming " jump, jump, jump "

    and then to come out with " no it is too dangerous " when the dolphins were there had us all a bit puzzled.

     

    stew

     

    Ummm... :lol:

    Strange indeed!

  14. not many people get to see that for real :)

  15. and I have let myself get scared by dolphins........ Awesome shot!

AOI

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.