Hi guys, Maybe someone in here can explain the virtual image created by a dome port in a way that a "physics challenged" person can fully understand.
My understanding is that when shooting with a dome port, that a "virtual image is projected" a few inches in front of the Dome, which requires a close-up filter with zooms that can't focus closer than the "apparant image". My questions, that I cant seem to find an answer I can understand are.
1: Why is the diopter ony required for a zoom lens? Or do you still need one if you are using a fixed focal length lens inside a dome port.
2: What if you put a 17-35 or such zoom lens in a dome port and did not want to zoom, but only use it for wide angle, is the diopter required?
3: If a dome of a certain size creates a virtual image 12" in front of the port, and if at that focus point "everything" is in focus, why can you not just set your camera for this point and leave it the whole trip? ( I know you can't...just dont know why?)
I have been doing this stuff for several years now, and I thik its time to try and really understand what is happenning down there.
Help the scientifically challanged amongst us.
![]()