Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Indonesia videos

Started by ronscuba ·

  • 15Posts
  • 15Replies

Read-only discussion

Indonesia videos

15 posts
  1. Just finished my video from a great Indonesia liveaboard trip.

     

    The current and visibility made shooting video a challenge, but the diving was incredible.

     

    Click the links below for high quality versions:

     

    http://www.vimeo.com/939628

     

    http://www.vimeo.com/945492

     

     

    The following links for Youtube versions:

     

     

  2. Nice stuff ron.

    I noticed vignetting in a few shots? Which port was that? I didn't have any vignetting during my tests without using a WA converter.

    I also liked the effect of the silhouette on the mantas. Was that done in camera or post? Looked to me like you had ND2 on. You could've cut the sequences a bit tighter so you don't show too much camera movement.

  3. Hey Drew.

     

    The vignette was from shots with an internal Raynox W/A lens & UrPro filter with the dome port. Guess I should have taken that out in editing.

     

    Don't remember if I had the ND filter on in the manta dives. Vis was horrible on that dive and I was playing around with all kinds of settings UW trying to get things to look right. I do like to boost contrast in post too.

     

    As you've noticed, I still need to work on keeping things still. Combination of me needing more dives and UW video experience plus the current and lush reef made anchoring very difficult. I usually rush my vid out in the 1st week due to excitement to share with my fellow boatmates and then tighten the editing weeks after the trip.

  4. I wasn't critiquing your technique rather your editing. When you have the camera waving from one manta to another, it's rather distracting.

  5. You can call it lazy rushed editing. :P

     

    And I DO need to work on technique. Gotta find a way to dive/shoot more often.

    Edited by ronscuba
  6. Nice one Ron

    Just have to work on keeping that camera still.

    Vis looks great..you should see what it's like here.

  7. Very nice Ron, Thanks for posting. It's great for those of us who haven't made it there yet. What the heck is the critter shown on the last few frames of the 1st video in the series?

     

    Steve

  8. That was a flambuoyant cuttlefish. To me it looked like a minature purple hippopotamus :P Surprised to find out it was a cuttlefish that sometimes likes to walk.

     

    The week was filled with things we haven't seen before. After every dive people were looking in the fish ID books trying to match what they saw.

  9. The vignette was from shots with an internal Raynox W/A lens & UrPro filter with the dome port. Guess I should have taken that out in editing.

     

    Hi Ron

     

    Was you using the 7062? I've used it in the past in shallow water without a filter and I didn't get any vignetting, so do you think there was any particular reason why it happened? I'm about to head off on a trip where I will need as much WA as possible so I was going to buy a filter for my 7062 and give that a go, but they are pretty expensive for 82mm threads so I'll give it a miss if it's a vignette magnet.

     

    Cheers, Simon

     

    P.S. I always enjoy watching your vids! ;)

  10. Yes it's the Raynox 7062. I think the vignette is caused by the filter pushing the lens a little further out. That being said, the vignette only appears on the computer. When I watch it on a HDTV, I don't see the vignette.

     

    I bought the filter directly from UrPro. I believe it cost me $80 US.

     

    The liveaboard pro was shooting a FX1 in the Phenom housing with the 90 degree zoom through lens. The Raynox was not as wide, but it looked sharper in the corners.

  11. Ron, were you on Kararu? i need mr fish's phone number!!!

     

    sorry, don't have the bandwidth to download the vids... ;)

  12. I bought the filter directly from UrPro. I believe it cost me $80 US.

     

    $80?? Eek the one I was looking at was the equivalent of $360 - that's for a 82mm filter that will screw into the front of the 7062. Is there another filter that would fit or am I just getting royally screwed on the price? Did you use one of the rubber mounted filters that you can also use externally on Ikelite housings - if so which one? I have the 3'' and 4'' ones but neither of those fit, so I was thinking the 3.6'' one might fit, although that could be the reason for the vignette of course as they are a bit bulky around the edges - they are at least more in the price range that you indicated though.

     

    Cheers, Simon

  13. My filter is 62mm screws onto the camcorder and the Raynox screws onto the filter, which I'm guessing is causing the vignette since the lens is now further out.

     

    Yes, I was on Kararu. Not sure what Steve Fish's phone number is, but he's on the boat fulltime. Have you contacted Kararu ? I have his email address. I'll PM it to you later today.

  14. I see what you mean now Ron - you're right that's probably the cause. It's a pain seeing the jump in price from a 62mm filter to 82mm one ;) Oh well..

     

    Cheers, Simon

  15. Ron since you are using the Raynox, you can eliminate the vignetting by adding the filter to a 62-64 stepup ring. The Raynox is really a 64mm with a step up ring.Pull the filter out and shove it between the stepup ring.

AOI

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.