Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

camera flooding

Started by dargo ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

camera flooding

5 posts
  1. hi all,am looking for some help.was diving a couple of months ago when in 2-3 metres of water, when 6 minutes into the dive the screen on my canon g9 started to play up and then water started to leak in the camera housing <wpdc21>not to much but enough to wreck the camera,battery is ok and so is the digitial card as could download the pictures leading up to the flooding.have heard of this happening.the seal is ok an was sent back to canon to be pressured tested and passed.was wondering could the battery or the new 3 inch screen been the cause of the flooding as a build up of heat or pressure needs to escape,resulting in the seal being pushed outside the housing for a brief time,resulting in the small amount of water leaking inside to wreck the camera.need help as canon wont replace both units,say l opened the housing up underwater

  2. Floods are not uncommon. It's possible to pinch the o-ring, get a hair on it, etc, thus letting in a small amount of water.

     

    I don't think it's as likely that the seal was "blown out" by the internal pressure - when you think about how high the external pressure is underwater.

     

    Cheers

    James

  3. sorry james forgot to add that the camera housing just got back from canon had to get the closing latch replaced,and was on the second dive the first was only 3-4 metres for 50 mins and had no problem,was only on the second dive it leaked,checked the housing in the water before the dive and seal was good and not dirty in anyway.have posted this question on diveoz,and one bloke had the same problem as l ,can see its not a wide spread problem but you pay heaps for the g9 which is a good camera only to be told by canon to bad to sad then told by them that you opened the housing up underwater.gee its hard enough on land with no gloves on

  4. Manufacturers have enormous faith in their products. I was given a Nikonos RS to trial back in 1992. It flooded on the second dive. Nikon said it was rated to 100m so I must have opened it whilst underwater. I cannot write here my retort since ladies might be reading.

  5. I partially flooded my G7 last month at about 5 mtrs. I did not notice this until I was at 30 mtrs and trying to shoot an overhead, at that depth there was no leak. I managed to get all the water into the port on the canon housing before heading for the surface. After thinking about it I think I twisted the housing very slightly when I was trying to untangle the strap. There is a very little bit of play in the housing latch, I think this amount of play is enough to cause a minor flood if any torque is applied to the housing?

     

    The flash now doesn't work but I can still shoot video and wide angle with it.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.