Douglas just got back from another week in Belize, and shot me an e-mail today clarifying the film vs. digital aspects of his shots:
"Dear Eric:
I am just off the plane -- with even better digital pix of the spawning phenomenon, which you will see once I get the RAW converter from phaseOne. It might be worth clarifying [Mustard's post]. The cover was shot in mid day, which, if I had had an RS and Kodachrome 64, would possibly have been a better picture (the top water burns out with the D60). But the truly great images, shot around 5:30pm as the sun is close to setting would only be possible with digital, set to ISO 400, 1/8 power Ikelites. Any film images would have been too grainy or muddy to be interesting. The doublepage spread referred to was also shot midday at 130 feet, so it could have gone either way. Once we get a true wide angle format, then digital is my choice so long as one doesn't shoot into the sun.
Best fishes,
Jetlagged Douglas"