Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

QuickTime Files and Sony Vegas help needed!

Started by NWDiver ·

  • 8Posts
  • 8Replies

Read-only discussion

QuickTime Files and Sony Vegas help needed!

8 posts
  1. Just got back from Cocos, great trip. Ended up loaning our HC7/Gates system to some pro photogs for next week since their 2nd system crashed.

     

    They saved all our video to a hard drive so I could come home and edit. But they (I don't know if this has anything to do with it) are Apple folks and all the files were saved in Quicktime. I try to edit them in Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 8 the audio shows up but the video does not.

     

    Any suggestions how to fix this? Will Vegas accept QuickTime files or do I need to (can I) convert them??? I have the HD tapes but would have to rent another camera to download.

     

    All help welcome.

  2. Much depends on how the files were saved. Quicktime, like AVI, can encompass a wide variety of both audio and video codecs. Ask them what format they saved the quicktime files in.

     

    My guess, is that they are not using Final Cut Studio or Pro, and you quicktime files are in AIC (Apple Intermediate Codec), which cannot be opened on a PC by any software.

     

    You might install a copy of G-Spot on your computer and open the file with that software. It will at least tell you what codec was used, and you can proceed from there.

  3. Thanks, I do believe they were using Final Cut Pro. So it looks like I am out of luck?

  4. Final Cut Pro is ok. It's Final Cut Express that's the real problem. Did you download G-Spot to see what kind of file it is?

  5. Ok don't know what I am looking for but here is what happened when I opened the video file with G-Spot.

     

    File Type: QuickTime (.MOV)

    Mime Type: video/quicktime

    Recommended Display Size: 1920 x 1080

    Created: 2008 Apr 29 06:56:19

    Modified: 2008 Apr 29 06:56:19

     

    Codec: sowt: 16-bit signed little-endian

    Codec: HDV2

     

    So now what?

  6. Ok,

     

    Since the audio was recognized, you're all good there. Now we need to find a way to open HDV2 (1080i) in VMS Platinum. Frankly, I am surprised it doesn't work natively.

     

    If I were you, I'd post this issue here:

    http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/forums/default.asp

     

    You should recieve an answer fairly quickly.

     

    It's not that tricky of a problem really. I would even bet that you could open the file in Quicktime Pro and convert it easily. Do you have (or would you be willing to buy) Quicktime Pro? I think it's $25.

  7. Thanks, in the end I borrowed a HC3 and downloaded, just finished.

  8. Glad to hear you got it sorted out.

Fotosub Shop

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.