Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

ColorMunki

Started by seagrant ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

ColorMunki

3 posts
  1. Just received my ColorMunki today. Since there is a lot of interest in this product I made a separate post.

     

    There is lots of info out there on CM. This one is interesting (and it has nice music... ;) )

    From Colour Confidence UK

    http://www.photo-i.co.uk/Colour%20Manageme...unki/munki.html

     

    Unfortunately the software does seem very "buggy" - At least as far as I've gotten with it. And it is the most up-to-date version from their site, plus my mac 10.5.2 is the most recent version so that is not the problem.

     

    First thing you have to do after installation is remove a "profilesetter CS2/3" plug in as it makes PSCS3 have all sorts of nasty issues (I learned about this from the NAPP Forum Site - and experienced for myself also...... :o ).

     

    Next, well I couldn't get as far in the software as the guy in the video. It won't let me get past the registration phase and won't activate and won't recognize my device, even though it is plugged in correctly. I've tried everything - even re-registering and all the "fixes" but it won't let me go any further.

     

    So I can't even give you all an idea of the monitor profile. I've got an email into tech support at Xrite and a query on the NAPP forum. I'll post if and when I do get somewhere past where the software has stalled me.

     

    If the bugs do ever get worked out the device and what it can do might just be really cool! Plus it is the only product Xrite has that they say is officially supported for Leopard and Vista (that is what brought me to the ColorMunki instead of the Eye One Display 2).

     

    So unfortunately my "color-calibration soap opera" continues......... :(

     

    Carol

    Edited by seagrant
  2. *Wanted to note Xrite's ColorMunki Support's excellent response time*

     

    I've heard they have a lot of "push" and support behind this product and a lot of will to fix any bugs. I'm impressed. I've even heard someone is bundling the ColorMunki program with some Ezio monitors?

     

    Here's what happened in a post I submitted to NAPP:

     

    Wanted to note I received an email from Xrite, ColorMunki tech support before 10am (my email problem went to them around 3am). That is very fast. Then I also received a phone call from Xrite tech support a few minutes later.

     

    That is very excellent customer response time from Xrite.

     

    Xrite also asked me to email them a document with my "Console Log/System Log" copied to help them locate the problems.

     

    I got the ColorMunki device to work by following the instruction from tech support. They had me trash the ColorMunki app. Then reinstall CM from a link they sent me.

     

    It worked this time. Before I'd plug the CM device in and see a flash of light out of the bottom of the device but the side oblong light would not light up. After the reinstall from the tech support link the device lit up for calibration like it was supposed to. Of course when the device lit up properly I was able to "Activate" the device and proceed.

     

    So far I just did an easy monitor calibration. It looks pretty good but I need to check it - possibly a little light as I may have had the brightness up a little too much? I had Brightness [backlight] (in system prefs) about 3/4 and I think I read somewhere that for the Xrite calibration of Apple Cinema Displays it was supposed to be about 1/2 way.

     

    But I can tweak that when I get time - otherwise the monitor profile looks pretty good and I'll try the printer profile later.

     

    Xrite says they have software coming out in a week? that will fix the Adobe CS3, etc plug in issue.................?

     

    More later......., thanks for the help, Carol

  3. Carol ,

    Wondering how the ColorMunki worked out for you in the end ?

    Peter

Ultralight Control Systems

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.