Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Thank you Wetpixel!

Started by John Bantin ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

Thank you Wetpixel!

7 posts
  1. I've always believed in having the right gear for the job in hand and learned the hard way. As a young man, the British government sent me off to cover a secret war in Borneo equipped (by them) with inappropriate kit. I had a Rollie 2.8E and 20 rolls of HP3 (that's 240 exposures), a Nikon F (50mm f./1.4 lens) with 20 rolls of HP3 (that's 720 pictures) and a fixed lens Kodak 16mm movie camera. The Kodak took a hit within a few days which told me that it was not a good idea to stand still and hold the camera steady whilst filming. Thankfully they had the good sense to send a group of men from Nepal to do the important part of the job, who made their own very effective weapons.

     

    I then went to work for myself and bought kit that I thought was right. When I later undertook work for Penthouse Mag, Bob Guccione stipulated he wanted everything shot on Kodachrome so I bought a 35mm outfit for the purpose and still have it. (See picture)

     

    Once I got into underwater photography (20 years later) I bought two Nikonos and two 15mm lenses and two flashguns (eventually swapped for two NikonosSB 104). I met Doug Perrine on a trip and noted that he had come to more or less the same conclusion at that time.

     

    I then started on the painful route of housed cameras and lenses (and various lightsources), both with film and later digital. I would see what other people used during trips and make purchasing decisions accordingly. It didn't matter that I bought stuff I rarely used. That was when it was OK to check in 100kg with a 20kg baggage allowance! Times have changed. I have cupboards full of stuff bought and now passed over.

     

    Thanks to information gleaned from people on this website I now carry a very slimmed down set of kit that is all carry-on. I have redundancy if disaster happens yet I also am equipped to take surface pictures too.

     

    My assignments are always last minute so I have no luxury of sending stuff by cargo. I just grab and go.

    I thought you might be interested to know what I now use.

     

    Subject to change if new information comes to hand, I now take:

     

    1 Sea & Sea DX housing with optical dome port (as good as the bigger plexiglass job I always swore by) and macro port.

    2 D200 cameras (small enough).

    2 Inon Z-240 strobes

    1 Tokina 10-17 mm lens

    1 Nikon 35-105 zoom with macro capability at 105mm

    1 10.5 Nikkor (bought before the Tokina but kept for surface use and as a redundant lens for underwater use)

     

    1 Macbook Pro (15 inch)

     

    Wetpixel has allowed me to get it right (unless you know better) quickly.

     

    I have not included incidentals so don't tell me I missed out the synch leads!

    post-4197-1209716032_thumb.jpg

    Edited by John Bantin
  2. John -

     

    I've finally learned how to carry my kit onboard as well! But since I am shooting Canon FF, I have not figured out how to be happy with a wide-angle zoom, and I carry more lenses and larger cameras:

     

    1 Seacam housing

    1 Seacam Super Dome

    1 Canon 1Ds MK III body

    1 Canon 1D Mk III body

    2 Ikelite DS-125 strobes

    1 Canon charger

    1 Ikelite charger

    2 sync cords

    4 8" ULCS arms

    1 ULCS ball for top of housing

    7 clamps

    Canon 15mm fisheye lens

    Sigma 20mm/2.8 lens

    Canon 24mm/1.4L lens

    Canon 35mm/1.4L lens

    Canon 24-105/4L lens

    Canon EX-580 Speedlight

    1 MacBook Pro (15")

    2 external 160GB drives

    iPhone

     

    I'm sitting next to my bags at the Dallas airport right now. I have the above configuration, but have deleted the Canon 24-105 and added:

     

    Sigma 8mm circular fisheye lens

     

    My macro ports, macro and 70-200mm lenses, and all redundant stuff are in a checked bag (extra chargers, bulkheads, cords, repair kits, sensor cleaner, etc.)

     

    One day, I hope to replace all the primes with a good, wide-angle zoom. :guiness:

    Edited by echeng
  3. I've finally learned how to carry my kit onboard as well! But since I am shooting Canon FF, I have not figured out how to be happy with a wide-angle zoom, and I carry more lenses and larger cameras:

     

    I'm sitting next to my bags at the Dallas airport right now.

     

     

    Which bag are you using? I know you have a couple that you mentioned. Every trip I get closer to the proper set up (last trip a Porter Case and a LowePro got my Still (Macro set up) and Video Rig happening, plus computer but always tweaking it....

     

    Anyway safe travel to wherever you are going (I am assuming you are in the airport to travel and not just hand out for fun :guiness: )

  4. Which bag are you using? I know you have a couple that you mentioned. Every trip I get closer to the proper set up (last trip a Porter Case and a LowePro got my Still (Macro set up) and Video Rig happening, plus computer but always tweaking it....

     

    Anyway safe travel to wherever you are going (I am assuming you are in the airport to travel and not just hand out for fun :guiness: )

     

     

    Eric, You area lot younger and stronger than me! Just don't try passing through a British (or European) airport with that amount of carry-on!

     

    I'm just about ready to leave for PNG. (Tawali and Tufi this time.) Bret Gilliam tells me he will be there with a big party of Americans. Not you too by chance?

    Edited by John Bantin
  5. I just went through Heathrow with all that gear. Ever since they changed the rules for international connections so that you can carry anything on that you can put in the overhead bin yourself, I've resumed connections through London. :guiness:

     

    I'm currently using the Airport Acceleration and Urban Disguise. There was a thread on it earlier, which is here:

     

    http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=22986

  6. Ever since they changed the rules for international connections so that you can carry anything on that you can put in the overhead bin yourself, I've resumed connections through London. :guiness:

     

    Not true everywhere yet I'm afraid - internal connections in New Zealand earlier this year refused to allow more than 7kg hand luggage on internal flights despite us pointing out this change and having print outs from our original airline. So we had to repack rather hurriedly!

  7. John

    Trimming travel gear is now the new holy grail of the travelling photog. I mean look how Alex Majoli does war PJ stuff with 4 P&S cameras.

    I'd like to go about listing my gear I lug around but I'm scared to even think about it.

    I'll just suggest for those looking to carry more in their jackets think about the Big Pockets 10X. Deep, big pockets with should pads for lugging the gear.

Isotta

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.