Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

RAW Workflow

Started by Damo ·

  • 11Posts
  • 11Replies

Read-only discussion

RAW Workflow

11 posts
  1. Hi guys and gals,

     

    Its me wid another question for you-

     

    Just curious about what the sequence members like to use when editing Raw files.

     

    Specifically, what do you do with a RAW file after you have adjusted it and want to save it another format.

     

    Do you go for JPEG or TIFF??

    What do you prefer/use in your RAW workflow??

     

    I do agree that all Raw's should be saved/backed up anyways- im just curious as to what you do with them once you have processed them to your liking??

     

    Luv

     

    Damo

     

     

    Ps. - again a very big thank you all so much for helping me find answers-much to learn I still have- you guys rock!

  2. Before starting uses the Lightroom I used to save the edited image on TIFF if I wanted to use it later (enlarge, print...) or small JPEG if I used the image just to post somewhere in the web.

  3. There's no reason to go to Tiff anymore really. Tiff is an uncompressed image format, but then so is RAW.

     

    I typically keep the raw files, and export my developed shots as high quality JPEG's. You can only print from 8-bit files so there isn't much loss in quality.

     

    Many of the quick and dirty printers (the Fuji Frontier like you get at Walgreens, etc) only accept the JPEG format now.

     

    Cheers

    James

  4. Hi Damo:

     

    RAW to TIFF and then to low res JPG for web if needed. My rationale is that TIFF's don't lose quality after each edit save.

     

    God Luck,

     

    Dan

  5. I use Aperture. It eliminates the need to save in another format during the process.

     

    I save to JPEG for web posting only.

  6. If you've decided that you would like to have a workflow beginning with raw files, then I think you're crazy to not use lightroom or aperture. Edit's are non-destructive and all the organizational/Presentation tools that are built into the program make their value far beyond their modest sticker price.

     

    Mike

  7. If you've decided that you would like to have a workflow beginning with raw files, then I think you're crazy to not use lightroom or aperture. Edit's are non-destructive and all the organizational/Presentation tools that are built into the program make their value far beyond their modest sticker price.

     

    Mike

     

    Agreed. Those Apps have to be some of the best bang for the buck programs out there. I use Aperture and it is a blast to use. Something to note though is that with the plug-ins in Aperture someone mentioned the plug-ins may not be non-destructive.

  8. Hi Damo,

     

    LUV to you too... :o

     

    Anyway, I did book review the other week and posted it here somewhere on WP.

    It is the best bloody book on RAW workflow that I have ever read... ;)

    It is;

    Understanding RAW Photography by Andy Rouse.

    ISBN # 978-1-86108-575-3.

    Buy it, you will not be disappointed. If you are, send me a PM, I will buy it from you...

    HTH,

     

    Bruce...

  9. I use Photoshop CS3 and Lightroom for Raws

    Save to Jpeg for web with CS3 or making graphics.

    Lightroom for fixing up the shots.

     

    Photoshop CS3 will open a Raw 12.8 meg pic from the Canon EOS 5D in about 2 seconds flat on my $1000 PC with a overclocked 2.4ghz QUAD CPU running at 3.2ghz.

     

    With 155 x 12.8 megs raw files in Lighroom it flys....no waitng for anything. ;)

     

    In fact I can have both programs running no problems....and FLASH and Dreamweaver...ha ...ha....

    Edited by wagsy
  10. Damo,

    Sorry to keep harping on the Lightroom and Aperture thing, but the introduction of these products (at least in Aperture which I know well, but I think Lightroom is identical in this respect) makes thinking about how to store your files, TIFF, RAW, JPEG etc,and keeping different copies of each of these, a thing of the past.

    Essentially you import a RAW image; you can edit all you want in these 2 programs and the image is not changed, you simply see the adjusted images as new versions. These new versions are not actual full size copies of the original RAW, just instruction sets which show the original RAW in different ways. The versions are all kept in a nice stack with the original RAW. When you decide you want to use the image for a purpose like email, web, print - the program simply generates the type of image required and exports it - JPEG, TIFF etc. Only when you go outside the program to use external editors will the image be saved back in the format created in the external editor, but again, nicely stacked and marked with the original RAW image.

  11. It was only when I really trawled thro' my beloved wetpixel forums that I suddenly realised how much trouble everyone went to answer my post- without me even giving you all a much deserved thank you!

     

    So firstly- thank you-all of you.

     

    Secondly- Bruce- I didn't know you cared! :good: - and yes I will get a copy of that book-thanks mate.

     

    Thirdly- RAW is bloody wonderful and I have taken all your insights and knowledge into my collective.

     

    I dont have CS3 - I just use humble elements 6.0 at the moment- but am definately going to get the latest version of Lightroom-Loftus- no harping at all my friend- actually a good kick in the butt is what I need to get into the 21st century :lol: .

     

    Aperture is a programme only available for Mac right?? I have a pc- but I believe Aperture ROCKS!

     

    Again- thanks everyone!

     

    Damo

AOI

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.