As we expand our divesites and add a couple of new diveshops in other islands, we are having more and more unexpected encounters (whales, mantas, dugongs, etc). As such, I am thinking of getting a compact video setup which I can clip to my harness and keep on me everytime I dive. I will also want it with me even when I am carrying my full still photography rig (still photography remains my primary objective) - so compact size is very important.
OTOH, I'd like to have some decent quality as well. The goal isnt broadcast quality of course - however, I would like the option of adding clips taken with this setup to a "Best of the Andamans" DVD that we have in production.
Low-light performance isnt a huge requirement as for the most part, the waters we dive in are clear and well-lit enough for the camera.
Based on all of this, I was looking at the Sanyo Xacti HD1000 and the matching Epoque housing.
Now, my concerns are:
1/ How does one split and merge the MPEG4 output into a more traditional DV/HDV output? Can iMovie or Final Cut or some simple 3rd-part software handle it, or will I need to do a lot of complex postproduction work to sort this out?
2/ Any idea how the auto WB of the Xacti holds up underwater?
Provided #1 above isnt a show stopper, it seems that I can live with whatever shortcomings the camera may have re. WB - everything else is ideal in terms of size and convenience. Anything else I am missing?
Or any other compact cameras that I can use which will do a better job at meeting the above needs than the Xacti?
TIA,
Vandit