Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

RAW workflow

Started by Damo ·

  • 18Posts
  • 18Replies

Read-only discussion

RAW workflow

18 posts
  1. hi folks,

     

    just wondering about the above.

     

    when u process raw files what do you like to do with them next??

     

    I take it you save them as another format- but what format do u like to use- TIFF??? JPEG??? something else??

     

    any comments greatly appreciated

     

    luv

     

    damo

  2. If you search the threads, this has been discussed a lot. Short answer, if you have PC buy Lightroom, Mac buy Aperture. Then keep all your pics in one place as RAW until you are ready to use them and export according to requirements for web, printing, email etc.

  3. Hey Damo

     

    I guess lots of people will have different ways of working. I keep the RAWs as a digital negative and then convert it into either a TIFF or a JPG depending on what I want to do with the image: if its to print for, say, framing, to TIFF; if to send to someone via email, to JPEG. But I always keep the RAW so that I can go back to the "original" image.

     

    I sell some pictures to an agency. They want emailed JPGs to decide which images they require. Once they let me know I send them the TIFF with the accompanying JPG (which loads faster) on a CD.

     

    So JPG, TIFFs or whatever: its horses for courses. It depends on the end use of the picture. But if you always keep the RAWs you can't go far wrong.

    Edited by TimG
  4. Hi Tim and Loftus

     

    Thanks a mill for the replys-much appreciated. :guiness:

     

    Tim, just on the TIFF thing.....

    I have printed 10 x 12 inch pics from jpeg and I have found the quality to be quite good- but I have yet to process a RAW file for print purposes- as the camera im currently using does not 'do' RAW-i.e. olympus mju 800- just jpegs.

     

    Mind you this will all change as I have just acquired a nikon d200- so hence this is why I asked my original question as Im taking bigger steps into the camera universe! :guiness:

     

    So just to further ask- are we saying the TIFF file- produced from a RAW taking on a D200-- will give me a better print quality at say 10 x 12 than the jpegs im currently producing on the 8mpixel olympus??

     

    If so- you have made me even more happier- or should I wait until you confirm this??

     

    God bless

     

    Damo

  5. Hey Damo

     

    Hmmm, not sure the answer to that other than, yes, quite possibly. I've almost always shot RAW and have blown up pics from a D200 to about 600 x 400mm from TIFFs. The quality is fabulous.

     

    Having said that, I've just had a topside pic blown up to the same size from a D100 JPG. And the quality was, err, fabulous. Can I tell the difference? I'd be lying if I said yes. But, if you printed the same pic to that sort of size to JPG and TIFF you could probably spot the difference.

     

    One of the things with JPGs is that image quality degrades each time you save the image. So if you do lots of edits and saves, the quality does drop off.

     

    I have no doubt though that you will be delighted with the D200. It really is a gem. Almost as good as the D300..... hee hee....

  6. I think as Tim says repeat saving of JPEG's is the part that degrades the image.

    Seeing you have just upgraded to using RAW, I think it is important , and this is the best time, to reconsider your whole workflow, from import to storage, to editing, to output. That is why I strongly recommend you start out with Aperture or Lightroom at the beginning. You will simplify your life immensely.

    The point being, that if you use these programs, all your saving and editing stays in RAW (unless you go to another program to edit), so there is no degradation of the image. Then when you decide what you want to do with the image, you choose the format that is most appropriate and will give you the highest possible quality for that purpose - either JPEG for web, or TIFF/PSD etc for printing. There are a lot of excellent books on the process about RAW etc. Save yourself a lot of time and confusion, and mixed up file storage etc - think a whole new and more streamlined workflow.

    Just to add a quick point - another important little gem about these programs - is that even when you choose your format of choice for printing or the web etc, the program simply converts these for output each time, and you do not have to actually save a full copy of the image in that format. Saving space.

    Edited by loftus
  7. Another related question for you guys.

     

    My D300 came with Capture NX. Since that program functions as a RAW converter, is there still an advantage to having Lightroom or Aperture?

  8. Some professional photographers believe that Capture NX is the best RAW convertor for Nikon. NX is not nearly as slick though for cataloging, sorting etc in one place like Ap or LR. I would say that they are not essential if you have NX, but if you are a real purist you will import into NX, then store in LR or Ap. Either that, or import into LR or Ap then use NX as your external editor if needed. NX has great U-point technology which is really nice for color editing in underwater photography. Incidentally Nik software that essentially developed NX, have just released an Aperture plug-in called Viveza, which is like having many of NX's U-point features within Aperture. (I't a little pricey though).

  9. Thanks for the info :guiness:

     

    BTW - I see you're in Winter Park. Did you get your underwater photo gear locally or did you order it and have it shipped to you. I'm shopping for a housing (leaning towards Sea&Sea at the momment) - and I'd like to get my hands on the thing - just to see how it feels - before I spend a ridiculous amount of money. The closest place I've seen is that photo shop in Lauderdale.

  10. Yes, I get all my gear through Ryan at Reef Photo in Fort Lauderdale. If Ryan had kids, I'd be the one putting them through private school.

    I would recommend a day trip down there to play with the different housings, I did that, and decided on Subal, hence my contribution to his future kids education.

  11. Yeah, I agree with Loftus. Do any initial sorting and simple editing of RAWs in Lightroom; then flip into NX for anything else. I also sometimes use PSE6.0 both to do simple edits; and use the Album bit of PSE for storing, indexing and off-lining of images. But I must admit I havn't read up on Lightroom's abilities to have figured out the cleaner, shorter worflow that Loftus suggests. I must get the book!

     

    I have about 14,000 images indexed with PSE - which works very well but it is an extra step. It is worth spending a bit of time thinking through how you plan to handle all the images you will create - and dveloping a smooth, quick workflow. But I do think the key is to keep RAWs and just create TIFFs/JPGs etc for a specific purpose - and then delete them when that is complete!

  12. I`m stuck with PS CS3! I can`t open Canon RAW file (CR2), I have latest Camera Raw plug-in 4.4.1 for it and won`t work! Does anyone have some solution or experienced similar situation?

     

    Thank you

  13. Not to muddy the waters but I kind of like saving the RAW as DNG's. Saves a lot of space.

     

    AB

  14. I have Adobee DNG converter and I can`t convert CR2 to .dng also:( I`m loosing my mind.....

  15. Canon users here`s a question?! When you work with raw do you first convert CR2 to DNG in Adobe Bridge and then process it?

     

    Thank you

  16. Canon users here`s a question?! When you work with raw do you first convert CR2 to DNG in Adobe Bridge and then process it?

     

    Thank you

    When I ran CS2, I used the Adobe DNG converter to read off of the CF card and store in my RAW directory tree. Now that I am running CS3, this is integrated in Bridge under the "Photo Downloader", which is a slightly enhanced Adobe DNG converter.

  17. I have this problem that I can`t even open (see) CR2 in bridge or CS3! So now I need to convert them into DNG to see them and process them! I downloaded latest plug-in (Camera RAW 4.4.1) but still can`t open.Need to convert it than it`s O.K.

  18. Canon has some recent updates for their software on their website. Check it out.

     

    One of these is for the users of the supplied ZoomBrower EX software. It has updated codex for RAW.

     

     

    Microsoft has a file for download that updates the codex for general users of various software. It is called Windows Imaging Component.

     

    The Windows Imaging Component (WIC) provides WIC-enabled applications to display and edit any image format for which a WIC-compliant CODEC is installed, and also to read and write metadata in image files. This may solve your issue. There is a MS hook. You will need to download run MS GenuineCheck to download the WIC file.

     

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/results...;DisplayLang=en

     

    MS also has a viewer for RAW available for download. I can not say how useful it is because my Canon ZoomBrowser works like a champ.

    Edited by blueskys4ever

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.