Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Goby ID

Started by TisTam ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Goby ID

4 posts
  1. I saw this little chap in about 12m in the Egyptian Red Sea a little way south from Hurghada. I think it's a goby but the only one I could find in my ID books with a spot on it's back was the Harlequin Prawn-Goby so I wondered if this was a juvenile - any ideas? It was about 1.5 - 2cm long and very skittish which is my excuse for the one photo I got being out of focus!

    post-3303-1210862543_thumb.jpg

  2. Looks more like a juvenile wrasse to me.

    Cheers,

    Marli

  3. Could it be a post-larval juvenile Puddingwife wrasse? The position of the spots would match on the fin and tail. However my ID book doesn't list the Puddingwife as a Red Sea species.

  4. UW id book users should always keep in mind that these never have all the species that occur in an area. :D

Nauticam

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.