Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Wideangle Options

Started by james ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

Wideangle Options

5 posts
  1. Hi Gang,

     

    I wanted to start a thread summarizing all of the wideangle lens options for Nikon and Canon DSLR's:

     

    Nikon Systems:

     

    Nikkor:

    14mm

    18mm

    16mm Fisheye

    17-35AFS

    18-35ED

    12-24DX (coming soon)

     

    Sigma:

     

    14mm

    15mm fisheye

    15-30mm

    17-35

     

    Canon Systems:

     

    Canon:

     

    14mm

    15mm Fisheye

    16-35L

    17-40L

     

    Sigma:

     

    14mm

    15mm Fisheye

    15-30

    17-35

     

    I'm new to Canon systems, so if I've left anything off let me know.

     

    Of course some of the above lenses will only work with some housed systems, and not with outhers, etc. Some of the above will also require diopters (the zooms). I thought we could start a thread about which are good in various situations, and what the costs are.

     

    Feel free to add lenses to this list or pipe up for your favorite.

     

    Cheers

    James

  2. I'll chime in...

    Sigma 15mm fisheye for Nikon systems...

    Mail order $350 after s/h.

     

    Never been underwater with it, so no performance opinions here. It's sharp above water though. The autofocus motors are a fair bit louder than my Tamaron 28-200 though.

     

    Gary

  3. I'm a very big fan of the 180? coverage of a fisheye on 35mm. I think that lack of anything comparable on D60/10D, D100, S2 cameras is one of their major limiting factors at present. Furthermore the Nikkor 12-24mm will not solve this because it won't be wider that a 35mm full frame fisheye.

     

    There are certain shots that can only be done well with 180 degree coverage and as I start to think about going to the Red Sea in a month or so I think that while I'll shoot, for the first time, more digital than film I will still use my F100 for the wide, wide stuff.

     

    Alex

  4. I am very interested in the topic as I am looking to buy a lens. I went and checked out some lenses today, the 16mm Fish eye and 17-35mm 2.8. The 17 was great in terms of little distortion, but the angle was no where as near as the 16mm fish eye. The 16mm gave about 30 degrees more ( estimate ).

     

    Would love to hear any oppinion on these to as well.........

  5. Don't forget the Sigma 8mm circular fisheye.

     

    Although that might require some effort to use. I'd have to get a dome without a shade, and with the 1.6X cropping, the tops and bottom are cut off. The resulting image is a rectangle with circular sides on the right and left. :lol:

Sea & Sea

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.