Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Ikelite Fisheye Port lock

Started by Juan ·

  • 20Posts
  • 20Replies

Read-only discussion

Ikelite Fisheye Port lock

20 posts
  1. Hi everybody. I recently took my new Ikelite housing for a trip to Los Roques, and almost had a flooding accident because of the fisheye extension.

    I was scared to see how easly it comes off, so I just did this:

     

    2497992478_02eb8ca819.jpg

     

    When locked, it'll prevent the port from turning. I don't know if it's what people already do, but I think it's functional, and still sleek.

     

    I plan on putting some rubber stripe so I don't have to use tape anymore.

     

    2497158697_49da304aa6.jpg

     

    2497991072_5527bfd935.jpg

     

    You can see more pictures here.

     

    Edit: it's my first post, so I want to say hi to everybody. I already learned many things from this forum, and I hope I'll be able to give something back.

    Edited by Juan
  2. Hi Juan, that`s a nice idea for securing the port. Where do you dove in Los Roques?

  3. Juan,

     

    Thanks for the post. I am definately going to modify my setup like this. Twice while I have been carrying my rig after the dive, the port has fallen off. It doesn't seem to have any problems while diving but seems to get turned while am carrying it.

     

    Michelle

  4. Hi Juan, that`s a nice idea for securing the port. Where do you dove in Los Roques?

     

    Well, Madrisqui, Nordisqui, Los tabacos, los partidos, dos mosquises, la guasa, las gatas fumadoras... We stayed there for 11 days for a documentary. Very very nice place. I had heard bad things about the Caribbean, and was pleasantly surprised.

     

     

    Twice while I have been carrying my rig after the dive, the port has fallen off. It doesn't seem to have any problems while diving but seems to get turned while am carrying it.

     

    Yeah, the same thing happened to me. You carry it, and it justs falls. It really sucks. As soon as you get a few meters underwter the pressure holds it into place, but it's still scary.

     

    The weak link would be the nut. I superglued it to the port and it should stay in place for some time, but I cannot guarantee how much strength or how long it'll resist. For average use, however, it'll certainly prevent the port from falling like it used to do.

     

    I used 4mmx 16mm screws and 4mm nuts to hold the bolt, and used a 4.2mm drill, by the way.

    Edited by Juan
  5. Well, Madrisqui, Nordisqui, Los tabacos, los partidos, dos mosquises, la guasa, las gatas fumadoras...

     

    Not the best places... If you are coming back anytime, PM me, I may been able to point you in the right direction.. But still Los Roques is an amazing and secluded place, kind of expensive but really nice for diving and relax. I even like it better than Bonaire.

  6. Thanks, but I don't think I'll be going back to Los Roques before a long time. Next on the list is Australia... :huh:

     

    Just curious, what places do you think are the best? We were there for a documentary, and the itinerary was pretty much closed, but it's good to know anyway.

     

    Juan

  7. That's a very cool solution, Juan. Thanks for sharing.

  8. i will try it too

  9. Hey Juan,

     

    Where exactly did you buy the barrel bolt ??? Can't find it anywhere. :P

     

    dive safe.

     

    Hoyerland

    Edited by hoyerland
  10. Hi. Juan,

     

    It's very useful! I really like to modify my D80 housing, but the photo link is dead, could you please post it once again? tks very much!

  11. Hi. Juan,

     

    It's very useful! I really like to modify my D80 housing, but the photo link is dead, could you please post it once again? tks very much!

     

     

    I second the request.

    the port locks do look very weak and if there is a way to make them stronger, I would love that.

  12. yup this would help me a lot...

  13. So, given the overwhelming demand, I'll upload the pictures again. :)

     

    It works, you just have to make sure the nut is firmly attached to the dome, since there's quite some lever and it could have to support a fair amount of stress.

     

    3718122448_b2fc746a30.jpg

     

    The duct tape is ugly, now I use a rubber band to hold the lock in place.

     

    3717311917_3b307035b4.jpg

     

    3718118386_0846617d7a.jpg

     

    3717316733_b001bd681b.jpg

     

    A few more pics here

    Edited by Juan
  14. Thank you!

  15. Juan: Thank you for sharing but in one respect this would appear to be a case where Ikelite engineering could have done a better job. I always am amazed at how many good ideas users come up with that should have been made by the original engineers.

     

    Bill

  16. I have an iklite housing with the same dome port with a port extension to allow fitment of mt 17-22mm wide angle lens. Now, i don't want to sound stupid here, but why is the rotation of the port make it come away from the housing? I have the same 2 clips that hold it on (3 would have been nice). Sorry if i have missed something here.

  17. Not a dumb question at all, if you haven't had to use it you'd likely never know. The really wide FE lenses require the "superwide port body" 5510.10, which is so wide and short you can't get your hands in to engage the clips anymore.

     

    So the port extension has little wells in it to act like a 'bayonet' mount with the clips - you put it on with the clips already 'closed' and rotate it into place.

     

    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/4206...tml#accessories

     

    For other extensions with a full lip that locks under the clips, rotating is just annoying (dome shade gets out of alignment to lens), not potentially catastrophic.

    Edited by rtrski
  18. Not a dumb question at all, if you haven't had to use it you'd likely never know. The really wide FE lenses require the "superwide port body" 5510.10, which is so wide and short you can't get your hands in to engage the clips anymore.

     

    So the port extension has little wells in it to act like a 'bayonet' mount with the clips - you put it on with the clips already 'closed' and rotate it into place.

     

    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/4206...tml#accessories

     

    For other extensions with a full lip that locks under the clips, rotating is just annoying (dome shade gets out of alignment to lens), not potentially catastrophic.

     

    Thanxs for that. All now makes sense. Thanxs for the explination rtrski.

  19. Hi

     

    I'd like to add that this design flaw only poses a problem on surface (pressure keeps the port in place during the dive) but it's so potentially dangerous I had to think of something, and that's the best I could come up with on a tight budget! :(

  20. Well I have some of the same concerns. I started out designing a DYI port lock and not sure it so much DYI. After I had something that worked I got the idea why not keep the port from turning but also have some extra attachment points. What I cam up with can be found here. http://uwcamerastuff.com/info.htm

    Drop me a IM if you are interested.

    Bill

    post-2195-1255220672.jpg

    post-2195-1255220745.jpg

WaterPixels Store

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.