Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Ikelite Housing for Nikon 5000

Started by jamesicon ·

  • 9Posts
  • 9Replies

Read-only discussion

Ikelite Housing for Nikon 5000

9 posts
  1. I'm new to the Underwater Photography World. However, I'm quite experienced on land. I have a Fuji Finepix S2 Pro digital that I simply cannot risk or afford to submerge it. However, to compliment the Fuji, I'm looking into purchasing a Nikon 5000 digital that would serve as a back-up to my S2 as well as underwater photography uses.

     

    I've been reviewing articles and pricing on housings and it appears that the Ikelite Housing (6190) seems to be the answer for me as a beginning. I plan on purchasing one with a substrobe DS-50 for starters. However, I can't seem to be assured that the housing's interior TTL connector connects directly to the hotshoe of the Nikon 5000

     

    Can anybody tell me if the TTL connector directly connects to the Nikon 5000 hotshoe?

     

    Also, if anyone has experience with this housing and strobes, I would appreciate your comments.

  2. Hy James.

     

    I have the CP500 in the Ikelite housing with the DS125 and I´m really happy.

     

    Yes, the Interior conector connects directly to the hotshoe.

     

    And works perfectly in TTL.

     

    Mariano

  3. As much as I like my cp5000 and ikelite housing and dual ikelite DS 125 strobes, I would love to jump to the S2 Pro for underwater use. I think you might be dissappointed with shutter lag and other image quality issues when you switch from a DSLR to any prosumer camera.

     

    If you are going to invest in a quality system with 1 or 2 strobes, in the end, the camera is the cheapest part of the system.

     

    I would suggest that you get one of several underwater insurance policies available and take the S2 underwater. Many from this forum shoot with expensive DSLR's and would never go back, IMHO.

     

    Food for thought

     

    Karl

  4. Mariano,

     

    I really appreciate your comments.

     

    After my initial investment, camera, housing and strobe, I'm going to experiment in a pool to become familure with this new equipment. In July, I'll be departing to the Happy Island of Aruba and really put it to use.

     

    I'm sure after a few dives I'll be looking into getting a wide angle lens, but it will have to wait. Like I mentioned, I'm just getting my feet wet.

     

    Thanks Again!!!

     

    James from NJ

  5. Hi James, it's James. :lol:

     

    I have owned bothe the CP5000/Ikelite and the S2/Ikelite. I sold the CP5000 and I kept the S2...as it's far superior.

     

    Here's a cost comparison:

     

    CP5000 - $500

    Ike Housing - $650

    Total ~$1150

     

    Ikelite S2 housing and ports - $1300

    DAN Equipment Insurance - $150 for premium for camera and lenses

     

    So, for roughly the same price, you can take your S2 diving "risk free." I'm sure you will be much happy that way.

     

    FWIW, the insurance DOES work if you need it (flood). It also covers your S2 if it is damaged (read dropped - it happens) or stolen. An extra bonus.

     

    Cheers

    James

  6. James, can you please point out some of the insurance provider fo rme please?

     

    How does the policy work, is it confined only to the US, cuz I live in Thailand. :lol:

  7. James: (Jamesw)

     

    In Europe (Spain) the pirces are a little but exzpensive:

     

    Nikon CP5000 1100€

    Ikelite housing 1200€

    DS125 1000€

    WA 19mm 250€

     

    The price for the S2 x1,6 (+/-)

     

    So you can be happy buying it in the US!

     

     

     

     

     

     

    James (Jamesicon)

     

    I enjoy the WA few dives a go, and I think that it could be a good lens. The next think the manual controler. Not yet, nowadays I shot in TTL

     

     

    Chers

     

     

    Mariano

  8. I have written an article on the pros for using the CP5000 in an Ikelite Housing. If your interested you can find it on my website:

     

    The Underwater Photo Gallery

Kraken Sports

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.