Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Do i need a diopter ?

Started by Big Blue One ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

Do i need a diopter ?

3 posts
  1. I just recently acquired the ikelite 8" super dome for my rig.

     

    I tried it out at PG and noticed that there were some issues in nailing the focus on some of the wide angle shots.

     

    http://www.pbase.com/richardfoord/image/97168874/original

     

    and

     

    http://www.pbase.com/richardfoord/image/97168876/original

     

     

    previously I had borrowed a friends 6" dome and even in low viz seem to have got reasonable results in Sydney

     

    see

    http://www.pbase.com/richardfoord/image/92608568/original

  2. I just recently acquired the ikelite 8" super dome for my rig.

     

    I tried it out at PG and noticed that there were some issues in nailing the focus on some of the wide angle shots.

     

    Where in the frame does the problem appear? The edges are probably never going to be right with a wide zoom, and whilst a diopter can help, some edge problems often persist. I don't have experience of your particular rig to give a suggestion, but +2 - +3 D works for similar lens/dome combinations.

     

    Tim

     

    B)

  3. I just recently acquired the ikelite 8" super dome for my rig.

     

    I tried it out at PG and noticed that there were some issues in nailing the focus on some of the wide angle shots.

     

    http://www.pbase.com/richardfoord/image/97168874/original

     

    and

     

    http://www.pbase.com/richardfoord/image/97168876/original

    previously I had borrowed a friends 6" dome and even in low viz seem to have got reasonable results in Sydney

     

    see

    http://www.pbase.com/richardfoord/image/92608568/original

     

    I think the corner is looking soft on the last image as well (down left). As Tim said, this is a common problem of wide rectilinear lenses behind domes. A dioptre might give you better results, it's worth a try. Can't comment on what strength you would need. Also check that you have the proper extension for the port (if needed). Your housing manufacturer should have specific reccomendations for optimal performance.

     

    good luck

     

    /christian

Reef Photo & Video

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.