Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Image review problem - Nikon D70s

Started by SayCheese ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

Image review problem - Nikon D70s

7 posts
  1. I'm not quite sure what's going on here and thought maybe someone on this board could help. I have a Nikon D70s, 60mm macro with Ikelite housing, and dual DS50's.

     

    I was on a boat on Saturday and for both dives the image review was not working.. I brought it home, took it apart and tried it out today on a beach dive and am having the same problem but ONLY below 40fsw!!

     

    Here are the facts:

    1. Both strobes are firing every time.

    2. When at 40fsw or shallower the camera works perfect

    3. Below 40fsw it seems like the camera is taking the picture but not giving me the image review.... it's just a black screen after the picture is taken.

    4. Below 40fsw I am not able to get to the Menu at all.

    5. I tried pushing all buttons at depth thinking maybe something is getting pressed from the pressure... no luck. Still no review.

     

    Any ideas? I really don't know what could be pushed in to cause the review OR the menu not to come up... I'm lost :lol:

     

    Thanks,

    Jen

  2. Any ideas? I really don't know what could be pushed in to cause the review OR the menu not to come up... I'm lost :lol:

    I would guess that you have some control engaged on the camera. Perhaps the exposure comp level is sitting on the button or another control. This can cause some really odd behaviour if you don't realize what has happened. This and some other "topside" controls in the housing can be pressure activated, so that would explain the 40 foot observation. Double check the position of each control and the status of the top LCD for hints.

     

    Dave

  3. I would guess that you have some control engaged on the camera. Perhaps the exposure comp level is sitting on the button or another control. This can cause some really odd behaviour if you don't realize what has happened. This and some other "topside" controls in the housing can be pressure activated, so that would explain the 40 foot observation. Double check the position of each control and the status of the top LCD for hints.

     

    Dave

     

    Thanks Dave,

     

    Yeah I went down there and messed with all the buttons... never checked the status of the top LCD... I'll check that out next. Thanks!

    Jen

  4. Housing distortion, even a tiny bit, presses on a control and the camera locks up, waiting for input. Try being really careful and locking the camera in firmly. Sometimes you can't solve this, because something is very slightly out of alignment.

     

    Tim

     

    B)

  5. So I finally figured out what was happening here... In case anyone is interested... :lol: The shutter release lever is set too loosely so after taking a picture it half presses the release and therefore does not display the review.... or maybe displays it for a split second before I get a chance to see.... Needless to say I will be tightening the lever before my next dive ^_^

     

    Jen

  6. So I finally figured out what was happening here... In case anyone is interested... :lol: The shutter release lever is set too loosely so after taking a picture it half presses the release and therefore does not display the review.... or maybe displays it for a split second before I get a chance to see.... Needless to say I will be tightening the lever before my next dive ^_^

     

    Jen

    Careful there! I would image the tightening the lever would only make the problem worse.

     

    It is supposed to be loose, but there should be a spring that lifts the lever away from the shutter release button. Make sure your spring is engaged and not missing.

     

    Dave

  7. On some housings the release is meant to be loose, so that (a) you can feel the half-depressed position and (B) the cameras shutter release will lift the arm when you stop pressing.

     

    It sounds as if your arm is not loose enough...

     

    Tim

     

    B)

Marelux

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.