Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Suggestions on good Lightroom books?

Started by oskar ·

  • 10Posts
  • 10Replies

Read-only discussion

Suggestions on good Lightroom books?

10 posts
  1. Any suggestions?

     

    /O

  2. Any suggestions?

     

    /O

    The Adobe lightroom for digital photographers by Scott Kelby would be a good one.

  3. Hi Oskar, I highly recommend you checkout the free videos on Adobe TV too. There are three different series with multiple segments that are very well done. Click on the Photographer filter at the top of the page to narrow it down to videos you may find useful. Check out the Software Cinema stuff by Julieanne Kost. I learned so much from her that I felt I didn't need the book, and I always get multiple books. The Lightroom interface has a lot to do with how easy it is to use and learn as opposed to CS3. It takes a while to get your head around the concept of the database, I still loose links occasionally but I'm getting there. Good Luck.

     

    Steve

  4. The Adobe lightroom for digital photographers by Scott Kelby would be a good one.

     

    The book above.

    Lightroom Killer Tips Podcast (Matt K.) http://www.lightroomkillertips.com/

    Scott Kelby's Blog http://www.scottkelby.com

    David Cross's Blog davecross.blogspot.com

     

    all real good references.

  5. FWIW I would suggest

     

     

    The Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Book - Martin Evening

     

    Personaly I would pick up any of Martin Evening's books before Scott Kelby - but maybe that is just me.

     

    Paul C

  6. Personaly I would pick up any of Martin Evening's books before Scott Kelby - but maybe that is just me.

     

    Paul C

    Interesting. Why? I haven't seen Evening's books. Are they that good?

    Edited by MatthewAddison
  7. Er - Yes they are - in my opinion anyhow.

     

    This one I really did like:-

     

    http://www.photoshopforphotographers.com/p...hotoshopcs3.htm

     

    Paul C

     

    Thanks for the link. I'll check out his books! I'm humping my way through "the creative digital darkroom" by Katrin Eismann & Sean Duggan right now. The jury is still out on this tome.

    One of the reasons I like Kelby's books is he doesn't take himself too seriously and makes what would be a dry subject (sometimes) funny while still getting the point and steps across to the reader.

  8. The Katrin Eismann book "Masking and Compositing" is quite a piece of work -

     

    http://www.photoshopmasking.com/

     

    Suggest you hit the local Library before parting with real money of your own - you can get poor buying some of these titles on chance - especially if you find my suggestions are all turkeys!

     

    Paul C

  9. Hello - The best LR training I have found is the on-line videos on www.lynda.com. Its awsome - for 25 a month, or 250 a year, its all the training your brain can handle in a gazillion different programs. If you are only interested in LR, you can take all the classes you need in 1 month easy by viewing online -- is well worth 25 bucks. there are 2 different LR video classes on lynda.com = version 1.0 and a 1.1 update by Chris Owrig, and another one by Colin Smith on LR version 1.3 also a 2.0 LR update by Orwig on the same site to show the new features and some demonstrations. I hesitated downloading the 2.0 version until I saw the Orwig video and he sold me on it. I downloaded it and love it.

     

    you can go to the site and view some sessions for free to determine if you like it or not before shelling out the bucks.

     

    also, I have Rob Sheppard's LR book which is also very good that I got at Amazon.

    http://www.amazon.com/Adobe-Photoshop-Ligh...4027&sr=8-4

     

    I looked at a friend's Martin Evening book after I had taken the on-line training and I didn't think it was very good. but all is personal pref.

     

    good luck and happy learning!

Retra

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.