Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Ports and Domes

Started by Mossyback ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Ports and Domes

4 posts
  1. Hi Folks,

     

    I've got a Nikon D70 with two lenses - a Nikon AF NIKKOR 28-85 mm 1:3.5-4.5 and Tamron 90 mm F 2.8 Macro 1:1. I'm going to go with an Ikelite housing. Pretty straight forward to this point. Now for the confusing part (for me).

     

    1. When I order the housing I'm going to have to also buy a port or dome and I don't have a clue as to how one chooses what to get. Can either of these two lenses be used effectively for underwater photography?

     

    2. If not, what mm size should I be looking for. I understand that the less water between the subject and camera, the sharper the image can be. A wide angle lens will fit the bill but how wide is wide?

     

    I'd appreciate any help you can give me. It's been forty years since I tried this activity. The last time it was with a Rollei Cord camera and a modified pressure cooker.

     

    Hank

  2. Hi Hank,

     

    Welcome back! Here is a link to the Ikelite page that shows the recommended ports for both of the lenses you mentioned. I'm sorry I don't have any experience with either one but somebody here does. The link will get you started. As to your question about wide angle, you may want to search out the posts here on the Tokina 10-17mm. The Nikon boys and girls will jump in here before a Canon guys screws you all up. :D Have fun!

     

    Steve

  3. I've got a Nikon D70 with two lenses - a Nikon AF NIKKOR 28-85 mm 1:3.5-4.5 and Tamron 90 mm F 2.8 Macro 1:1. I'm going to go with an Ikelite housing. Pretty straight forward to this point. Now for the confusing part (for me).

     

    1. When I order the housing I'm going to have to also buy a port or dome and I don't have a clue as to how one chooses what to get. Can either of these two lenses be used effectively for underwater photography?

     

    2. If not, what mm size should I be looking for. I understand that the less water between the subject and camera, the sharper the image can be. A wide angle lens will fit the bill but how wide is wide?

     

    Hi Hank,

     

    I have a Nikon D70S so I'll jump in here.

     

    1. As to your question if either of the two lenses you have can be used effectively for underwater photography...

    I don't own either lens so I can't comment from experience but I will say this: although your Tamron lens is an excellent, fast lens I've heard great things about for topside use, it may not be the best lens to start out with for underwater use. Due to the DX factor, it ends up being a fairly long lens. The 105mm lens, which is more commonly used underwater, is not the easiest lens to use underwater. For that reason alone, I would suggest you wait until you're more experienced with other lenses before you use it underwater.

     

    2. I would strongly suggest the 60mm lens as an excellent first macro lens. It's very easy to use and you can get great results pretty much from the beginning.

     

    For Wide Angle, I see that the 5510.10 Dome Port that Ikelite sells can be used for several different wide angle lenses, all of which are excellent. I own the 10.5 and the 16 Fisheye lenses and they are both excellent. Don't let Fisheye lenses scare you off. There are not usually any straight lines underwater, so the Fisheye lenses don't look too fishy when used underwater. I have heard excellent things about the Tokina 10-17 and was thinking of getting one myself. You can use the same dome port for the Tokina as you would use for the 10.5mm and 16mm. I'll also add that the Sigma 15mm lens would be another choice for wide angle shooting.

     

    When you are using either the 10.5mm lens and/or the Tokina 10-17, you are very close to your subject which goes a long way towards minimizing the amount of water between the lens and your subject.

     

    I don't own the Ikelite housing so don't have any experience there. Perhaps others can jump in with their input. Steve has provided you with a very useful Ikelite chart.

     

    Hope that helps. Feel free to ask away if you have further questions.

     

    Ellen

  4. My thanks to both Steve and Ellen. You've given me valuable starting points as I make the plunge (pun intended) into u/w photography.

     

    I'm going to order the housing and a dome port this coming week and in the meantime I'll start looking into some of the lenses that you've mentioned. Once I have the port and lens situation worked out I'll tackle the problem of flashes.

     

    Thanks again.

     

    Hank

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.