Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Digital Nikonos RS

Started by davichin ·

  • 15Posts
  • 15Replies

Read-only discussion

Digital Nikonos RS

15 posts
  1. Today I saw in a spanish forum a guy that has digital nikonos rs modified by kodak. Another one said:

     

    "In 1996 and 1997, Kodak made 3 digital models based on Nikon's Nikonos RS underwater camera:

     

    DCS 425c - 1012x1524 Bay RGB-100-400 ISO

    DCS 425ir - 1012x1524 IR-200-800 ISO

    DCS 435 - 1012x1268 Bay RGB-200-1000 ISO

     

    These cameras are not listed on Kodak's website, or anywhere else, for that matter. Asking Kodak, I received this reply:

     

    'I'm sorry but those cameras never existed here at Eastman Kodak. We

    never made cameras for that specific use. The information you have is

    incorrect.'

     

    Strange thing is, I'm pretty sure my information is correct. Asking another Kodak source, I was told: 'I think the issue is who they were made for'.

     

    I can only assume they were produced for some US military / intelligence organization. I can't really understand what the secrecy is all about, but I understand Kodak's position (the support people probably don't even know that such a camera exists)."

     

    To see the pics:

     

    http://www.forobuceo.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=43873

  2. That's fascinating! Thanks for posting David.

     

    I wouldn't be surprised if they were used in military or covert operations. Nikonos made the olive drab Nikonos V for that reason right?

     

    Nasa has been using Kodak DSLR's up until recently, when I think they upgraded to the D2X. Their astronauts use the cameras in space, using a thermal blanket around them. I met up w/ a few of their folks and let them have a look at my viewfinder - as they were looking for something an astronaut could look through from a high eyepoint (inside their helmet).

     

    I wonder where the original poster got the Digital RS and/or the photos? that's one heck of a collector's item.

     

    Cheers

    James

  3. I've always thought this would be a dream underwater digital camera.

  4. I would be interesting to know what size sensor was used for this camera. I always felt the better camera for this job would have been the Subeye Reflex made by a company in Switzerland and championed by noted photographer Chris Newbert.

     

    The Subeye had a removable back and film insert, much like a Pentax 645 camera back which could have been ideal for adaptation to digital.

     

    Since the lens mounts for the Nikonos RS lenses and the Nikon film lenses are the same the Subeye could be used with film lenses and a port or an adaptor (to accept the lens o-ring) and an RS lens.

     

    The RS equipment is still retaining its value V. digital equipment and was the go to tool for many working photographers for years.

     

    By the way James the Olive green Nik V cameras and the 80 mm Nikonos lens were a big hit with photojournalists during the Vietnam war because of the damp and humid conditions.

     

    http://www.subspace.ch/English/Subeye_eng.htm

     

    http://www.unterwasserwelt.de/html/subeye_reflex.html

     

    Phil Rudin

    post-2618-1212068113_thumb.jpg

  5. By the way James the Olive green Nik V cameras and the 80 mm Nikonos lens were a big hit with photojournalists during the Vietnam war because of the damp and humid conditions.

     

    Phil Rudin

    I think someone has been pulling your leg. The only Nikonos models available during the Vietnam War were the I and II.

  6. You are of course spot on regarding the olive color, the 80 mm lens however was widely used during the war due to the conditions.

     

    Phil

  7. I've got one of those olive green V's, along with a II and III, in my 'photo gear museum', just collecting dust in case anyone is interested in adding to their collection....

  8. You are of course spot on regarding the olive color, the 80 mm lens however was widely used during the war due to the conditions.

     

    Phil

     

     

    So someobody actually used the 80mm for something other than a paperweight? :D

  9. It actually was a great closeup lens when used with the Nikonos closeup lens and framer.

  10. In those RS photos .. where is the storage ?

     

    Memory wasn't as sophisticated back in those days I am pretty sure we should be able to see either drive, (I doubt those two batteries could power a drive) or quite a bit of Solid State memory.. either way it doesnt look removeable .. so wheres the usb socket ?

     

    It wouldn't surprise me if this existed, but honestly Nikonos would have released this in my mind if they had a working version back in 1996.

    The RS started being made in 1992 and then quietly just got stopped being made as digital came into being and the RS also went digital ? The RS was never made after 1997 .. it just doesnt add up as a story to me.

  11. Hi all,

     

    I have been using KODAK Cameras based on different Nikon SLR models before.

    They all used memory cards and hard drives in PCMCIA format.

     

    On the pictures you can see a similar slot to slide in these big memory cards too.

     

    Cheers,

    Torben

  12. Maybe you need this pic as smoking gun ?

     

    I found this pic in internet....US NAVY SEAL.

     

    Sam

    post-815-1217279816.jpg

    Edited by shchae
  13. I just found this post today, but I found it fascinating. I have a friend who has been a pro shooter for nearly fifty years, and a Nikonos RS owner (and close friends with many Nikon insiders.) He has told me this history several times: According to his sources at Nikon, The RS was originally developed by Nikon for the US Navy and was designed originally to b a digital camera. Nikon, however was contractually forbidden to market it commercially. I always thought the story was merely wishful thinking, or legend, but the photo of the label inside the back cover lends some credence to it I think. In any case, I'm glad I found this link. I'm going to pass it along to my friend.

  14. I've just found this fascinating post. I do remember that when Nikon announced the end of commercial production of the RS they said it would still continue to be produced to fulfil government and military contracts.

     

    I have always thought it a great shame that those wonderful U/W corrected wideangle/fisheye lenses are not available for digital use. Come on Nikon, let's have a digital RS using today's sensors.

Nauticam

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.