Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Blog Coaching

Started by brendiver ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

Blog Coaching

7 posts
  1. If anyone has ever dreamed of getting an article published in the diving media, here's an offer you can't refuse.

     

    As a bit of an experiment to see if it can be done, I'd like to coach someone from the, "I'd love to get something published in a diving magazine," stage all the way to, "Wow - that's my name and those are my pictures!"

     

    The only catch, the coaching process will be open for all to see via my blog, there would be no phone calls, no e-mails (other than an initial introduction), the only line of communication would be on the blog via posts and comments.

     

    You can find out more at:

     

    http://www.brendiversworld.com/photojourna...g-coaching.html

     

    I don't want any money for this, no other form of reward, I just think it would be interesting to do. I suppose if anyone got paid as a result of publication I would expect them to donate any $ to a worthy charity.

     

    Thoughts?

     

    Anyone interested?

    Edited by brendiver
  2. Hey, that's a really interesting idea. I would really love to give it a shot. Perhaps we could find out a little bit more about expectations from both parties a little more?

     

    I'd prefer to do it here rather than through PM or email, so others can see and you won't have to repeat the same thing a gazillion times!

  3. Very cool idea Brendiver!

  4. Thanks Cor,

     

    and to answer Antacid's question,

     

    it's my intention for the whole process to be carried out in the Web 2.0 world via my blog. The medium would be posts and comments, totally interactive and 'out there' for everyone to see, think about, comment on (agree, disagree, there are no rules - just 'stuff' that works), and provide fresh perspectives / thoughts.

     

    Check the link on my first post for details of how I think it could work.

  5. I don't want any money for this, no other form of reward, I just think it would be interesting to do. I suppose if anyone got paid as a result of publication I would expect them to donate any $ to a worthy charity.

     

    I've been guilty of this, and support UWP webmag, but doesn't publication without a fee diminish the status of your images? A magazine will publish to support its sales (ie to make money). Why submit free images? Money to charity, by all means, but ask for it!

     

    Tim

     

    B)

  6. Hi Tim,

     

    good point, however, in photography, the arts, writing, there's many a time the only way to get ahead is to carry out your art for nothing, well, maybe not for nothing, for the exposure, for the joy of sharing your art.

     

    And maybe someday you'll get paid for it? You're right though, you've got to ask, no point in being a door mat!

     

    In any case, this post isn't asking for people to write for no payment, it's to get an article published in either a fee paying of non fee paying publication, and if it's fee paying, I'd expect the author to donate to charity - seems reasonable?

  7. Quick update for those who are watching this one.

     

    I've picked Martin Heyn from Seattle as the first to be 'blog coached.'

     

    The process has started, see the below link to Brendiver's World for Martin's progress.

Isotta

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.