Hi
I have also been mulling over whether to buy a DX-1G with wide angle and a YS110 strobe to take with me to Thailand in december.I also have a sony digital with a sony marine housing which is way past its sell by date.However i took the relatively blue pictures and corrected it in photoshop and results were amazing.I thought maybe i should get a sony with about 10.2 megapixels and a small strobe and photoshop it.I know the DX-1G is a very good camera but is it that far apart from top range Sony's in terms of colour reproduction and pixels?As a video shooter stills is really an every other holiday dive thing for me so would it be wise to spend double the money on a DX-1G?I would like to see you pics posted you took with the DX-1G?
Travy
Here are some of my pics I took with the DX1G. I have since moved on to DSLR use.
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=1061...mp;id=582259232
The main issue here is manual controls. The DX-1G allows you to manually adjust aperture and shutter speed very easily. It is a great way to understand the basics of photography and allows for creative possibilities that would not be possible with a standard point and shoot. If you have no intention of learning or using manual controls...or simply do not want to get bogged down by technicals, then just buy the camera you are happy with on land and see if you can take it underwater.
Next thing to consider is RAW format. Makes a huge difference if you are willing to take the time to edit in Lightroom (or Photoshop) later. Color reproduction for underwater use is subjective. Due to loss of light/colors at depth, you will still need to use color correcting software if shooting with Auto white balance or constantly white balance at depth. With RAW, you can make all your adjustments with very little loss or degredation in picture quality.
Next thing to consider would be the strobe. A bigger strobe allows you to throw out more light and bring out more colors farther away. Of course, if you are only keen on Macro shots, then a small strobe should be plenty. The pictures I took were with a single YS-110 strobe. Mind you, this strobe will need to be manually adjusted for correct exposure.
Within the point and shoot prosumer category, either the DX-1G or Canon G9 are good choices. Some people prefer the quality of the G9 to the Sea & Sea (Essentially a Ricoh GX100- which has also won many awards). However, I went with the Sea & Sea because the camera itself without the housing was much smaller, more pocketable and very much more photographer friendly than the G9. Your mileage may vary of course.