Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Strange critter from Greece

Started by Nicholas S. ·

  • 11Posts
  • 11Replies

Read-only discussion

Strange critter from Greece

11 posts
  1. I found this critter under an old wood at -5m !

    Has anyone seen something like this before or know what is it ?

    post-7415-1212519193_thumb.jpg

  2. Looks like it is something inside a sack .. like a mermaid purse ?

     

    thats what i would guess this is .. a fish egg of some sort.

  3. Looks like a tunicate of some sort. The internal gut is quite clear but I cannot see a second vent.

  4. Very interesting! If you start to look under things yo'll start to find a whole new world of marine life there...

    I bet Leslie will know whta this is!

    Can you post a bigger image, or simply zoom and crop it more?

  5. I am not an expert but I don’t think is an fish egg :)

    It looks to be something like a tunicate but lets let the professionals expess their opinion!

     

    n532561551_526141_6709.jpg

  6. I've seen plenty of similar things. I can't wait to hear what Leslie says about this strange thingy ma bob!

  7. I'm puzzled by it too - looks like tunicate body with a polychaete inside because the branchial basket (used for filtering out food) is so dark. Or maybe it is a polychaete inside? :) Nicholas, would you mind sending me a high res file of the entire animal so I can send it to some friends who work with tunicates? My email is lharris[at sign]nhm.org

    Edited by Leslie
  8. Wow, you've stumped worm girl - it must be something really unusual!

  9. :) It's easy to stump me with something that's not a worm!
  10. any news :P ?

    Edited by Nicholas S.
  11. Hi Nicholas - It's a tunicate. You can find an anatomy diagram here http://webs.lander.edu/rsfox/invertebrates...einascidia.html which will help in figuring out what the various structures are in your image. It may be that this animal is a common one for the Mediterranean but I have very few references for European waters.

Keldan

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.