I have been predicting for years that as the nations of the world completely exploit fish stocks until they collapse, they would again turn to whaling to keep fishermen in business for a couple more years. Of course whale stock will collapse rapidly. How can folks be so short-sighted?
OSLO- Iceland and Norway have resumed whale meat exports to Japan for the first time since the early 1990s despite a UN ban, a whale exporter said on Monday.
Well, it was going to happen sooner or later. I'm impressed Reykjavik and Oslo managed to convince the Japanese their meat was edible. For years, the Japanese claimed the whale meat from the North Sea were more contaminated and didn't import much. I guess they are circling the wagons as such.
With Norway and Japan being economic powerhouses, trying to convince them through the usual channels of boycott and active protests hasn't worked but drawn them closer together. The only way is to show them that money (especially Iceland which is more dependent on exports) can be made via whale watching. There are efforts to bend a few fishermen to do that.