Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Color correction

Started by Thom ·

  • 8Posts
  • 8Replies

Read-only discussion

Color correction

8 posts
  1. I recently started using an SP 350 with a YS 27 strobe. I can't get the blue out.

    I picked out 200 images from my memory card and took it to Costco for printing. 90% of my pictures turned out with a blueish tint and my sharks even turned out blue.

    I did not use the white balance setting or a red lens. I had the strobe set on a low setting and the images looked fine on the camera and on my computer.

    Is there a change that the photo company, either costco or someone else, can adjust their machines to get rid of the blue tint?

    My wifes purple and yellow wetsuit came out pink.

     

    Thanks for any and all help,

    a new guy.

     

    Thom

  2. Hi Thom,

     

    If you're not using a calibrated monitor, then what you see on your computer screen is NOT what you get when you print. To get accurate prints, you need a calibrated monitor and you need a printer profile which will show what the print will look like. Do a search for more info.

     

    There is also a lot of blue light underwater - and if you don't get very close to your subjects (<4 feet w/ your small strobe) then you're going to get blue no matter what.

     

    Cheers

    James

  3. I understand more about a monitor correction now after talking to other digital photographers. What I am now looking for is if there is anything that can be done, color correction wise, like a plus 2 red in developing or something like that.

     

    Thanks for much for all of the help,

     

    Thom

  4. Thom: have you tried white balancing the photo? Go to levels or curves, click on the eye dropper, and then click on something white or gray in the photo.

     

    Cheers

    James

  5. Thom,

    Tell us a bit about your computer, what software you use to download, and what software you use for editing and how comfortable you are doing photo editing on the computer.

    From what you have told us so far, you really have to find out whether the problem is with you or with Costco. If you take regular topside pics to Costco do they come out alright? If they do not, then you need to go somewhere else. If they do, then the problem starts with you and James is exactly right, you MUST calibrate your monitor with a calibration colorimeter before you can do anything else.

    Once you have calibrated your monitor, if your pictures still look good then find another place for printing. If your pictures do not look right on your monitor after it is calibrated, then James is right again, you need to white balance your pictures in the computer before taking the files for printing.

    Edited by loftus
  6. Sorry, I had Grandpa duty all weekend for a 15 month old. Haven't been able to get on here.

    I only have MicroSoft picture it # 9. Not used to doing any photo work, really. Costcos topside pix came out good. I am going to look for a monitor program this week.

     

    Thanks for the help and will keep you posted.

     

    Thom

  7. I was told to get the huey program for monitor correction. I went on goodegg.com and only about 50% liked the program for monitor color correction. Can anyone recommend a good program.?

    I also just bought photoshop elements as I was told this was a good program, but I understand the pictures won't turn out correct unless my monitor is adjusted.

    Loftus, I am not really comfortable adjusting things, but I realize that I must learn more about taking pix. I have now learned that my camera will also record in RAW, so I will start doing that also.

     

    I am going to add a , in the can you identify this area, of something that we saw in the water snorkling and maybe someone can identify it. It looks somewhat like a fried egg.

     

    Thanks,

    Thom

  8. I was told to get the huey program for monitor correction. I went on goodegg.com and only about 50% liked the program for monitor color correction. Can anyone recommend a good program.?

    I also just bought photoshop elements as I was told this was a good program, but I understand the pictures won't turn out correct unless my monitor is adjusted.

    Loftus, I am not really comfortable adjusting things, but I realize that I must learn more about taking pix. I have now learned that my camera will also record in RAW, so I will start doing that also.

     

    I am going to add a , in the can you identify this area, of something that we saw in the water snorkling and maybe someone can identify it. It looks somewhat like a fried egg.

     

    Thanks,

    Thom

    I don't think it makes that much difference which calibration software (which all come with a colorimeter), you purchase. I have the Spyder which is fine and there is also the Eye-one which is good. Unfortunately if you are having color balance issues, there is no way to avoid calibration, which is nothing more than standardizing your monitor. Once you have done this, if your pics look right then he problem is with the Costco folks, if not then you must adjust them to look right on the monitor before having them printed.

    I would stay with JPEG until you are comfortable doing the adjustments in Photoshop, or if your camera will let you, shoot RAW and JPEG at first. With JPEGs the basic adjustments are done in the camera including white balance. Start with auto white balance at first as your camera setting. I will be happy to help walk you through this a little. Why don't you post some of the JPEGs you took that printed badly, with some information about the settings, including white balance.

    What camera do you have?

Ultralight Control Systems

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.