Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

first time macro

Started by matt215 ·

  • 2Posts
  • 2Replies

Read-only discussion

first time macro

2 posts
  1. i have a macro lens (100mm canon ef), but have never used it underwater. i think i'm going to give it a try on my next trip, but would like some pointers on strobe position and manual settings. i have heard that macro photography can be easier than wide angle .... but i may be totally wrong.

  2. Matt,

     

    I'm lazy and I do most of my macro work with auto focus and iTTL. I tend to set the lens to around f/22 to maximise the depth of field and push both strobes (DS125) as close as possible to the side of the lens port to minimise shadows. I either go with a strobe on either side, or one from above and one from the side with the side one back slightly so that it will contribute a bit less.

     

    If I get what I believe to be good shots at f/22, I'll fire off a few at f/16, f/11 and f/8 to try to push the background more out of focus.

     

    I'm not expert and others may have different opinions or techniques.

Retra

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.