Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Underwater Photo Technique Book

Started by jeremyl ·

  • 14Posts
  • 14Replies

Read-only discussion

Underwater Photo Technique Book

14 posts
  1. I did a little searching but havn't found what I am looking for. I have been taking pics on land for ~20yrs with SLRs. I know how to run a camera. But I have not done much with external strobes, and I am just getting into underwater photos with a "controllable" rig. I have a G9 w/Ike housing and dual Ike DS125s. I went on my 2nd trip with it, where I switched from auto to manual shooting. I know some basics like use aperature to control exposure, Shutter to control background, etc. I understand composition. What I am looking for is mainly techniques and tricks for the strobes and for underwater photography in general. Like how should I aim the strobes. Should they be both full power? Things like this. I would like to go off and take another dive photo trip and take a class, but I am not sure that is in the cards for a while.

     

    Can anyone suggest a good book?

     

    Thanks!

    Jeremy

  2. Jeremy, there is one book that really stands out in my mind when people ask this question. Almost any book will give you some excellent information, however, if someone asked me to suggest the "bible" of underwater photography and imaging I would have to recommend, "The Underwater Photographer, Digital and Traditional Techniques" 3rd Edition by Martin Edge. Period.

     

    You can order it online from Barns & Noble. www.bn.com

  3. Great answer and absolutely correct - make sure you get the latest edition - the changes are not major but worthwhile.

     

    Order it, it is that good.

     

    Paul C

  4. i got mine on friday night and have just finished reading it. it is a very well thought out book, which i found easy to follow and very easy to digest. all i have to do know is put it in to practice.

  5. Awesome. I will put in my order today. Thanks! BTW: Is there a likewise "bible" on Photoshop CS3. I am a total noob on Photoshop. I have Photoshop CS2 for DUMMIES that I am working my way thru (need to quit working so I can have more fun). Adobe Photoshop for Underwater Photographers by Jack Drafahl comes up on Amazon when I add the other book... gets very good reviews.

     

    Jeremy

    Edited by jeremyl
  6. Hi Jeremy,

     

    The best "how to" book on CS3 is in my opinion Scott Kelby's "The Photoshop CS3 book for Digital Photographers"

     

    Kelby approaches each technique in a tutorial fashion-which makes it much easier to follow and learn from than either of the books you mention!

     

    Although not specifically aimed at underwater photography-you can apply the techniques very easily.

     

    Hope that helps

     

    Aam

  7. i have also purchased the dvd from doug sloss. "the underwater workshop". this dvd is IMHO very good for learning the basics and also in understanding how layers work. i take it on all my trips and always find myself using it. his voice is a little annoying after a while but it is an excellent tutorial. there is plent on the dvd that will, i am sure open up a whole range of edits that you will be able to make.

     

    http://www.uwphotoshop.com/

     

    i know this dvd is aimed at CS and CS2 but i would say that it would be very useful to getting to grips with the operations of PS

    Edited by stewsmith
  8. The best "how to" book on CS3 is in my opinion Scott Kelby's "The Photoshop CS3 book for Digital Photographers"

     

    I support anything by the Drafals; but Kelby ???

     

    His book on Lightroom is not worthy of being used for fish wrap! Not a coherent sentance in the book!

  9. Hi again,

     

    Well I guess that is the joy of forums like this-people sometimes disagree!

     

    I have the Lightroom book as well, and found it a really good easy to use guide!

     

    I think the difference may be style-I found the Drafals books (I have both of them ) to be confusing, whilst Kelbys was simpler to follow. I must admit I didn't really check his syntax!

     

    As I emphasised, this is just my opinion!

     

    Adam

  10. Scott Kelby is really annoying, but as far as I can tell everything in his book works...

     

    ... the Drafahl's book is less annoying, but much harder to follow (and I'm on my fourth generation of Photoshop!).

     

    There are a lot of great digital photographers who don't do much in Photoshop, and Lightroom might be a better bet to a complete newbie, but there are as many approaches as photographers...

     

    Tim

     

    B)

  11. Thanks all. I am 1/2 way thru Martins book. So far nothing too enlightening but then again the good stuff is always at the end. Its a big book and a fast read because a lot of it is his photos and a simple how and why blurb... I like it. I expect the next sections - on lighting and exposure - are what I am really after, so I will see how it goes. Should finish it this week.

     

    I just got Kelby's book (Amazon is nice and fast) so I be able to add yet another opinion to the pool - although I expect this to take me much longer to go thru as I intend on doing a lot of editing while I read.

     

    From what I have heard thru the grapevine lightroom would serve me well... so I will go learn about that afterwards. Lots to learn!

     

    Jeremy

  12. Throw away Lightroom and Photoshop, and the associated books.

     

    Download the free Picassa program from google, and press the button that says "I feel lucky"

     

    You'll save youself hours of grief, and get back to having a life away from the computer. Unless you want to publish, you might be amazed by Picassa. I am tired of fighting Lightroom and Photoshop.

     

    OK, you can sling your bows and arrows at me now :P

    Edited by Don in Colorado
  13. Throw away Lightroom and Photoshop, and the associated books.

     

    Download the free Picassa program from google, and press the button that says "I feel lucky"

     

    You'll save youself hours of grief, and get back to having a life away from the computer. Unless you want to publish, you might be amazed by Picassa. I am tired of fighting Lightroom and Photoshop.

     

    OK, you can sling your bows and arrows at me now :P

     

    I am actually in agreement, Picassa is free and very easy to use but is not a pro quality and flexibility. But very worthy. I use Nikon Capture NX these days mostly and a little PhotoShop.

  14. Throw away Lightroom and Photoshop, and the associated books.

     

    Download the free Picassa program from google, and press the button that says "I feel lucky"

     

    You'll save youself hours of grief, and get back to having a life away from the computer. Unless you want to publish, you might be amazed by Picassa. I am tired of fighting Lightroom and Photoshop.

     

    OK, you can sling your bows and arrows at me now :wacko:

     

    No arrows, I agree as well.

    I'm trying to learn PS Elements cause CS takes away money from my beer budget :D

     

    Picassa is worth a shot.

     

    Ed

Retra

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.