Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Canon PnS Powershot S5 IS

Started by oz1ing ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Canon PnS Powershot S5 IS

4 posts
  1. I am new to underwater photography and are planning to buy a S5 IS.

     

    I see a lot of posts on the G9 but none on the S5 IS which has better zoom and macro features than the G9. Does anyone have any experience with the S5 ?

     

    Thank you in advance.

     

    Henrik Weiss

    Edited by oz1ing
  2. OKAY GUYS - :D Not overwhelmed by the no. of replies.

     

    Maybe I can rephrase the question a bit.

     

    Alas no advice on experience, how about some guidance as to the specification of the S5 IS compared to the G9.

     

    My own perception.

     

    S5 IS:

    No RAW - :P

    8 Mpixel - okay

    12 x zoom - ;)

    Supermacro mode, down to 0 distance - :)

     

    G9:

    RAW - :P

    12 Mpixel - More than adequate for me

    6 x zoom - Guess okay, but not as good for over water tele sessions

     

     

    Thanks,

     

    Henrik Weiss

  3. This got talked about a month or so ago, so maybe do a search on the S5.

     

    I'm not a fan of the S-series for underwater. They aren't great on macro from my experiences, which seems to be standard for most big zoom P&S's. There's no way you'd ever want the 12x zoom underwater either. Remember the golden rule, get close to your subject!

     

    The other thing, the Ike housing for the S5 is a LOT bigger than the Ike G9 housing.

     

    If you're wanting more zoom on the G9 for above water shots, you can add a teleconvertor to the camera.

     

    If you're tossing up between the 2 for underwater, IMHO, the G9 is by far superior.

     

    Ryan.

  4. This got talked about a month or so ago, so maybe do a search on the S5.

     

    I'm not a fan of the S-series for underwater. They aren't great on macro from my experiences, which seems to be standard for most big zoom P&S's. There's no way you'd ever want the 12x zoom underwater either. Remember the golden rule, get close to your subject!

     

    The other thing, the Ike housing for the S5 is a LOT bigger than the Ike G9 housing.

     

    If you're wanting more zoom on the G9 for above water shots, you can add a teleconvertor to the camera.

     

    If you're tossing up between the 2 for underwater, IMHO, the G9 is by far superior.

     

    Ryan.

     

    Ryan,

     

    Thanks for your advice. I went to the store today and asked about the two cameraes. Supposedly S5 is better for indoor use. So I bought the G9 with Teleconvertor and WA. Now I am off to the local divershop for some advice on Ike setup.

     

    I also acquired the Underwater photog... book by Martin Edge, so more than enough to keep me busy for the upcoming holiday season.

     

    Henrik

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.