Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Upgrading Computer

Started by jcclink ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Upgrading Computer

4 posts
  1. Are there drivers (video card, anything related to mb, etc) that I should uninstalled before starting the disassembly/upgrade process? Installing new mb, cpu, video card, memory. Same hd's including boot drive. Win XP SP2.

    Edited by jcclink
  2. If I were you, id make a backup of the old machine and do a fresh win xp install on your new machine. It may seem like more work, but if anything goes wrong, you're going to wish you did it this way.

  3. Sometimes you can get away with just putting your hardrive into a new system and it will boot up but sometimes it will not :D

     

    Uninstall you graphics card drivers and mother board drivers if you can from the hard drive before you put it into a new box....It may then boot up.

     

    I would take the opportunity to reload windows and all your software then make a mirror image of it all.

     

    Have fun...

  4. Sometimes you can get away with just putting your hardrive into a new system and it will boot up but sometimes it will not :D

     

    Acronis was working on backup software that would let you backup up a complete machine (OS, Apps and Data) with one hardware configuration and restore on a different machine with different hardware. It is probably not cheap. I use their standard backup and restore software and it is impressive stuff. It does a hot backup of a 200GB drive so fast it blows my mind.

     

    I've booted windows successfully the brute force way on a different machine like that and I don't recommend trying that unless you REALLY understand how windows and hardware interact.

Marelux

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.