Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Diving with a newby

Started by diver dave1 ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

Diving with a newby

6 posts
  1. We have probably all had poor experiences with beginning divers at some point. But its not always that way. Here is a story of a dive with a beginner that was worth the trip. I was not certain whether to post it..but I keep coming back to this memory so here goes...

     

     

    Some time ago, I was on a dive trip in the shallow water by West Palm Beach, FL. During the day, beginners were dropped off in the shallow sand for class and the boat took the rest of us on to the reef for a bit of diving. That evening, I went on the night dive being offered with perhaps a dozen others. A teenage boy, certified that day in the sand, was present for our night dive as his first dive as a certified diver. He and I buddied up and we listened to the dive briefing.

     

    The dive guide had a line with a hook at his end, a big red ball floating at the other. We were to all hold the rope between points of interest. When we found something interesting, we could drop off the rope and look. Once viewing was complete, we would all get back on the rope and drift together. It sounded curious to me but easy enough to follow.

    As soon as we reached the reef, we found a big hawksbill sleeping on the reef. My partner and I dropped off to look with the dive guide right next to me. My buddy and I gave each other satisfied looks and smiles, then I looked over to the dive guide…and they were GONE.

    I mean completely GONE. No lights, no answer to my waving my light in that direction. Nothing! There was a current but it did not seem so strong as to wisk them away in a minute. I looked back at my buddy and his eyes were so big they nearly filled the entire mask! I patted him on the shoulder, showed the “I LEAD, YOU FOLLOW†hand signals, he agreed and we were off exploring the reef.

     

    Saw lovely sights on the reef that night moving slowly along together. At one point, a massive school of silver bait fish swam by with our lights reflecting off all the silver. A little later, a big school of Horse Eye Jacks came following the bait. Not long thereafter, a big school of barracuda swam by, following the Jacks. I was rather happy not to be a small fish about then. We went on to see various sleeping parrot fish, shrimp eyes reflecting back in crevices, etc.

     

    We finished the dive and when we surfaced, put the lights on our head, as we had been instructed during the dive briefing. After a quick pick up, we discovered the current had surged at the surface and pulled the ball, rope and everyone else off the reef. They saw nothing but open sand for the night while we had a great, relaxing dive on the reef. The boat captain proclaimed, “These were the only 2 on the reef tonight.â€

     

    The boy just talked over and over about how cool it was to see the jacks and barracuda hunting, the turtle, the sleeping parrotfish, etc. About how much he loved the dive.

     

    And I was so glad to have been with the beginning diver on his first night dive.

     

     

    So.. was it OK to post this here? Or should I be keeping my dive stories to myself?

    Be gentle.. I have that easily crushable male ego.. women are much tougher.

     

    "We cannot solve our problems with the same level of thinking we had when we created them" A. Einstein.

  2. What an awesome story!

     

    What an awesome experience to share with a new diver. He'll always remember that.

     

    I had a similar experience (not to hijack) with my uncle. It was his first post OW course dive. I took him to a local dive site (flinders pier, Victoria) and the viz was unreal- best ive seen there. We found weedy sea dragons, a cat shark and huge smooth rays. I'd never been so profusely thanked at the end of the dive. I felt really chuffed to have been there with him.

     

    Cal

  3. Nothing like a young diver's excitement to really bring back why we love this great sport. Fantastic story, thanks for sharing.

  4. Not a big fan of doing one's first dive as a certified diver at night. We're taught to know our limits and dive within our training. As a new diver we barely have the ability to deal with the expected in daylight, much less the unexpected at night.

     

    Also not a big fan of the drift dive at night.

     

    I am a big fan of the giant sleeping parrot fish though. :P

  5. Not a big fan of doing one's first dive as a certified diver at night. We're taught to know our limits and dive within our training. As a new diver we barely have the ability to deal with the expected in daylight, much less the unexpected at night.

     

    Also not a big fan of the drift dive at night.

     

    I am a big fan of the giant sleeping parrot fish though. :lol:

     

     

    David,

    I agree with your comments on night drift diving, first dive being a night dive, etc. We were not told it would be a drift until the dive briefing on the boat, just prior to dropping in. I think the whole concept of hanging on the rope together, dropping off for viewing then re-assembly is questionable. With the current as slight as it was at the bottom, I also think it was not necessary.

  6. We were all young trainees once.......

    Despite the hiccup you took control- you both came back safe and sound- and you led him on a magical dive

     

    Someday that boy may take a camera in his hand- and go looking to capture the essence of the memories you have created for him.

     

    Well done u- and thanks for sharing

Nauticam

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.