Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

shotting with C-5050

Started by amadeo ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

shotting with C-5050

6 posts
  1. Hello guys,

     

    I'm a new member of this forum, my gear is

     

    Olympus c5050 with PT-015 + Inon 2000 strobe + Inon UW 100 wide angle wet len.

     

    However I began to shot in 2005 (in the Shear Water with Jim Abernethy at Tiger Beach !!) I'm just a beginer regarding UW photography because I just have a chance to do a dive trip once at year maybe twice if I'm lucky, which means 20/30 dives per year. This causes that my progress shooting UW is ver, very slow.

     

    However, I've been able to to shot some nice pictures with it. My main concern with this gear is that is very slow shooting. I know that compact cameras are slow, but my question is about why the gap of time since I press the shootter until the picture is taken is not always the same ??

     

    this time is sometimes less than a second, sometimes 1 second and sometimes more than 2 seconds (?)

     

    I guess it could be related with autofocus but I really don't know.

     

    Could someone, explain how it works and if there is any technique or tip to know when the picture will be taken since I press the shooter?

     

    Sorry it this is a very basic question :D

     

    Rgds,

    Amadeo

    Edited by amadeo
  2. Autofocus. The 5050 won't take the picture until autofocus locks.

     

    You can half press the shutter to lock the focus before pressing the shutter fully. Of course this is only useful when the distance to the subject remains static.

  3. Autofocus. The 5050 won't take the picture until autofocus locks.

     

    You can half press the shutter to lock the focus before pressing the shutter fully. Of course this is only useful when the distance to the subject remains static.

     

    Hi jlyle,

     

    That's what I guessed, thanks to confirm. Yep, I always use half press the shutter, however, as you pointed the subject don't remain static (specially sharks ...) I really wasted hundred of pictures due to that ...

     

    Recently, I've adquired a Canon 20D (second hand) initially for land pictures (i love land safaris also !) and I'm considering to complete the gear to dive with it, may be you can help me to decide. The following are

    pros an cons to change to Canon

     

    Pros

    ----------

    - quick shoot !

    - best quality

    - wide variety of lens

     

    Cons

    -----------

    - very expensive to complete the gear (housing, strobes, lens).

    - I think the C-5050 still offer to much that I know to use, in fact the only inconveniente that I've found until now is the slow shoot.

    - enough quality of pictures.

     

    Thanks for your reply !!

    amadeo

  4. You can also use hyperfocal length in manual focus to get around the autofocus time lag. Use manual focus to set the focal length to about 6 feet - everything from three feet to infinity will be in focus (at the widest lens setting and F/4). Just press the shutter to take the shots. Someone published a hyperfocal length table for the C-5050 several years ago; do a search and see if you can find it.

     

    Here's a link to "street shooting" using preset focal distances.

     

    http://www.wrotniak.com/photo/c5050/c5050-leica.html

    Edited by jlyle
  5. You can also use hyperfocal length in manual focus to get around the autofocus time lag. Use manual focus to set the focal length to about 6 feet - everything from three feet to infinity will be in focus (at the widest lens setting and F/4). Just press the shutter to take the shots. Someone published a hyperfocal length table for the C-5050 several years ago; do a search and see if you can find it.

     

    Here's a link to "street shooting" using preset focal distances.

     

    http://www.wrotniak.com/photo/c5050/c5050-leica.html

     

    OK, I'll try.

     

    It looks a good tip, mainly to shoot to big subjects moving.

     

    If it works I could shoot sometime more with the Olympus an learn more before to change to Canon ...

     

    THANKS a lot !

    Edited by amadeo
  6. You can also use hyperfocal length in manual focus to get around the autofocus time lag. Use manual focus to set the focal length to about 6 feet - everything from three feet to infinity will be in focus (at the widest lens setting and F/4). Just press the shutter to take the shots. Someone published a hyperfocal length table for the C-5050 several years ago; do a search and see if you can find it.

     

    Here's a link to "street shooting" using preset focal distances.

     

    http://www.wrotniak.com/photo/c5050/c5050-leica.html

     

    Very nice link - I have used it for land based info, but never thought to go there for help with underwater shooting.

Keldan

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.